buildings and structures
All  1-9  10-16

Previous
Next
2110.10 In reply to 2110.9 
< How to apply material to a whole body / part in sketchup ?
Just select all the object(s) (triple click) first then Paint Bucket with a color or an image or a texture...;)
Or select only face(s) you want paint! Can't be more easy!
Put an skp file example for test ;)

EDITED: 26 Oct 2008 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2110.11 In reply to 2110.6 
Hi Steve - I'm glad that MoI is able to help with getting the "grungy work done". :)

Which one is your regular architecture program? And what is the current method you use for transferring data?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2110.12 In reply to 2110.9 
Pilou and Anis, I agree, SU is great but it is limited (so far) for producing formal architectural drawings with notes and dimensions etc all set out nicely on a page. Those drawings have to be very clear and to scale when they are finally printed. SU are developing that side but I think it has a way to go yet.

There are problems making line drawings from a 3d model. Like if I import a model from MoI as 3ds (ie polygon) my arch app does not have a "merge coplanar faces option" like SU does. So a cube will be made up of triangular faces which means in "hidden line" view, all the diagonals are showing. In a complex model that's a lot of lines to delete!

There is a way around this by going through and intermediate application but it takes time.

But the point here really is that MoI is a great tool for visualising arch problems in 3d.

Also for communication. The architect can pull out the MoI model on his laptop on site and in seconds the builder will get the idea exactly.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2110.13 In reply to 2110.11 
Hi Michael,

I think we just posted at the same time!

Some of your questions are answered above.

I use Cycas, which is a little known, independent dedicated architectural package. Used largely within the linux community I think, but also has an excellent windows version.

It can import DXF 3ds and GTS (which I am not familiar with but triangulated meshes).

So I use 3ds or dxf to transfer from MoI to Cycas. The Cycas has an excellent "hidden line" renderer which produces a 2d projection of a chosen view. Then I tidy up that 2d drawing for use in the final drawings.

I think if Cycas could import obj, the problem of extraneous lines could be solved.

EDIT: I don't use dxf to export, just 3ds!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2110.14 In reply to 2110.13 
Hi Steve, yeah I am not familiar with Cycas.

Do you know if they have any plans to support any additional formats in the future than 3DS or DXF?

Both of those formats are rather problematic for transferring mesh data - as you've seen 3DS only stores triangles in it. DXF can contain a variety of different kinds of entities, but the polygon mesh entity in DXF is also pretty limited, and can only store triangles or quads, also limited to only have up to 32768 faces in it if I remember right...

Maybe they might support SketchUp format in the future, I would imagine that with the focus on architecture they must get a lot of requests for that?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
< There is a way around this by going through and intermediate application but it takes time.
Yes the time to make "Select all" (all faces) and make one click! ;)
this plug erase all coplanar side on a surface
http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf/download/file.php?id=15975

EDITED: 28 Oct 2008 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2110.16 In reply to 2110.14 
Hi Michael

Their list of supported formats in growing. So maybe in the future...

As far as support for SU goes, because of the linux base, it's not high on their list!

32768 is an interesting number to remember:)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-9  10-16