FBX file format - need 3DS Max test
 1  2-21  22-29

Previous
Next
as far as I can tell it works really well in max 2009, but the max9 importer might be broken.

Thank you Michael.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1958.23 In reply to 1958.21 
Hi Michael, sorry if it's a stupid question.
In this page with the new features of the FBX importer for Max:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=11804173

one of the key one is:
Support for NURBS export and import

Does it change something in the way we pass the model between the two apps?
Or is the normal feature you use for the translation?

Regards
Luca
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1958.24 In reply to 1958.23 
Hi Luca,

> Does it change something in the way we pass the
> model between the two apps?

No, actually that particular thing does not make any difference - MoI's new FBX exporter will write polygon data to the .fbx file, not NURBS data directly.

I think most programs that read .fbx files will be expecting it to contain polygons and not NURBS surfaces.

If you want to get NURBS data into Max, I think that is already possible currently with using the IGES file format? But I think most people will want to export polygon data from MoI into Max so that you can take advantage of MoI's more advanced meshing mechanism such as creating n-gon meshes...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,
I imported it ok into max, xsi and, houdini
In houdini the sphere is imported with no seams, but the other objects look identical to the xsi import with disconnected edges.
As you can see below(xsi screens) there are a lot of seams in the sphere especially at the poles(blue lines depict open edges).
I exported a similar polysphere to fbx format from max, and a nurbs sphere from xsi ; both do not generate disconnected edges.( i have attached both objects )

sorry for the quality of the render..bad gif compression

EDITED: 13 Sep 2008 by IMENSAH

Image Attachments:
Size: 52.5 KB, Downloaded: 33 times, Dimensions: 862x725px
Size: 83.1 KB, Downloaded: 27 times, Dimensions: 847x702px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
btw... is this going to be an fbx importer for moi as well? and if so were you able to import the nurbs sphere from xsi ok?

cheers!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1958.27 In reply to 1958.26 
Hi Isaac,

> btw... is this going to be an fbx importer for moi as well?

No, just export to fbx in polygons only for now.

Re: seams in XSI - with those seams being visible it looks like XSI does not read in vertex normal shading information from an fbx file, unless you can find some option for "vertex normals" or "user normals" that you can enable.

XSI will read in vertex normals from an OBJ file though, so I think that OBJ will work better for transferring from MoI into into XSI rather than FBX.

But I should actually be able to make an improvement to FBX export to weld points that share the same normals like along the sphere though, that would remove the seam in this case. You should also be able to use XSI's own built-in weld or "merge vertices" type function to do the same thing and make the averaged normals go across that boundary also.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1958.28 In reply to 1958.27 
I spit blood at the juvenile file formats interchange abilities of even, so called, top level apps.

When will the 3D community grow up?

Will a strike by all 3D users have an effect?

Grumble, grumble!

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1958.29 In reply to 1958.27 
Hi Michael

> XSI will read in vertex normals from an OBJ file though, so I think that OBJ will work better for transferring from MoI into into XSI rather than FBX.

Personally I think i might prefer this new exporter. It is a hassle sometimes to fiddle with the obj export options to get points to line up(if you remember http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1723.6)
If the fbx exporter does that by default then it will save a lot of time during cleanup of objects to make them sds friendly. Seams can all be welded in seconds as you know so they are not really an issue.
Moreover it is practically impossible to export a planar ngons like your second example to obj. It ends up a royal mess especially in max and crashes xsi 80% of the time
So seeing this exporter was quite refreshing to me. looking foward to it ..and the layer system ha!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1  2-21  22-29