Align + "Make copies"

Next
I often ctrl+c before I align an object, then ctrl+v after to put a copy back in the original location. A "make copies" tick box would be welcome... unless theres a reason its not there. :-0

-Nick
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1875.2 In reply to 1875.1 
I just think clicking on Copy and Paste (on the UI) does exactly as you are asking?

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1875.3 In reply to 1875.2 
Yes. But then why have the option on Rotate or Scale?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1875.4 In reply to 1875.3 
Sorry if I am getting lost. I see no complaint about copy being in those two. Why not?
But Copy>Paste is a more comprehensive versatile way is it not? (You can keep on pasting in all sorts of places forever (Ctrl)!)

As a note, it is not often I see someone mentioning keystrokes here.
One of the design theories of MoI is to make it pad/pen friendly, minimising keystroke use as much as possible.

(Or am I missing your point--sorry if so)
Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1875.5 In reply to 1875.1 
Hi Nick, I guess just the regular traditional 2D illustrator "align" type tools have never really had a copy option on them, so I was just kind of following along with those.

The Align UI is a bit bulky already, that does make for a little bit of worry about adding more stuff in there...

Do you happen to have an example file where you wanted to use Align + Make copies mode? Are you certain that just regular Transform/Copy would not do the trick in that case?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1875.6 In reply to 1875.5 
Hi Michael,

I'm just dipping my toes in 3D, but I know Illustrator pretty well. The thing I use a lot there is a keycut to repeat the last transform. Illustrator also has a way to duplicate and repeat previous transform.

Seems an icon could replace a keyboard shortcut.

Cheers, and kudos on what is looking like a great program.

d
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1875.7 In reply to 1875.6 
Hi Diane, thanks for checking out MoI!

you wrote:
> The thing I use a lot there is a keycut to repeat the last transform.

In MoI you can repeat the last command used by either right-clicking inside the viewport after the command has ended, or pushing the "Enter" key after the command has ended.

So for instance if you just ran the Transform/Mirror command, and you want to repeat it, set up your selection and then right-click inside of a viewport and that will launch that Mirror command again for you, without needing to go click on its button again.

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

In version 2.0 (which is not finished yet but is currently in beta release available to v1 customers) there is a brand new way of doing transforms using an edit frame that shows up around the outside of selected objects. That makes it a lot quicker to do some basic scaling and rotation of an object because you no longer have to fire up any command to do some simple versions of those, just grab one of the handles. Some details on that are here: http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/doc/V2releasenotes.html

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All