class ring

Next
here's one done in rhino I don't use moi but it can all be done in moi I bet!

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
...but it can all be done in moi I bet

So can most of the models shown in the Rhino forums. If everyone who made a model in Rhino simply posted it here, it would be kinda hard to find info on MoI. Nice work - but if I want to see models made in another program I know where to find them.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1662.3 In reply to 1662.1 
Hi Pat,

It should be pointed out that there's a good Rhino Tutorial on how to do all of this:
http://www.rhino3d.tv/english/info/

There's two parts to the Tutorial, so you might need to look for the first part.

You're correct, most of it can be done in MoI, here's what I've managed to do so far.
I ended up modifying the basic style of the ring to suit my work flow with MoI.
Not too sure about doing the text around the top yet in MoI?
This may well be where you'd need to Copy & Paste into Rhino to use it's tool set there.

regards Colin

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1662.4 In reply to 1662.2 
I don't wish to start a debate about this. But the surfacing tools in MoI are not on the same level as those in Rhino. Placing the 3D text in Rhino would take you all of 3 mouse clicks. And it would still be editable by transforming the 2D curves on the CPlane... I also agree with Ed, there's no reason to post Rhino models on these forums unless part of it was done using MoI...

jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1662.5 In reply to 1662.4 
Hi Jonah - actually I'd say that surface creation tools (which is normally what I would consider "surfacing" like you mention) are actually pretty close.

But morphing and warping modification tools - Rhino definitely has a nice set of those in v4 which are not present really at all in MoI. That's an area where you would definitely want to use Rhino for.

> And it would still be editable by transforming the 2D curves on the CPlane...

No, I don't believe that is correct - in the given model it appears that the text has been booleaned with the main body of the ring. As far as I know once that has happened in Rhino the text will no longer be editable like you are talking about here.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1662.6 In reply to 1662.5 
Hi Michael.

Surfacing - i wasn't referring to commands such as network, sweep, etc. I was referring more to post-creation adjustment (tangency matching, point manipulation, weighting, rebuilding, etc). So perhaps the correct term i was looking for was "surface editing" tools...

Text - You are correct about the booleans, but i should have been more specific about this. I was referring to the possibility that the morphed 3D text can still be repositioned, scaled, point manipulated through a series of history actions (ExtrudeCrv, then FlowAlongSrf are both history enabled). Understandably in Rhino, you must break history to perform any type of boolean...

jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1662.7 In reply to 1662.6 
Hi Jonah - right, so the text as shown on this actual model is not editable in Rhino.

The thing with the post-editing tools is that a whole bunch of them are mostly applicable to very detailed and advanced modeling like car body modeling and are often not used in many other modeling scenarios.

But for jewelry design the warping and morphing type functions do come into play way more often though.

Those warping tools are kind of a general transformation kind of category of stuff, they don't really have much to do with with detailed surface tweaking stuff like control point editing / rebuild / match does.

It is pretty helpful for people who want to do Jewelry design in MoI to also have Rhino available to them to use those warping tools when needed.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1662.8 In reply to 1662.7 
.... also have Rhino available to them to use those warping tools when needed.

Do we have warping tools on the wish list for version X? :)

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1662.9 In reply to 1662.8 
Hi Ed,

> Do we have warping tools on the wish list for version X? :)

Certainly! It's just a pretty tough job to warp a solid and make sure that all the resulting surfaces in it have all the joined surface edges still stitched together within a good tolerance.

But it may be possible for me to license some code for this from another company - if that works out well it would definitely accelerate getting this into MoI. I'm not quite sure how that will work out yet though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1662.10 In reply to 1662.4 
You Guys will have to forgive Smitty,,,jewcan,,Pat,,whatever his name be.. He'd post on the Disney forum if he thought someone would pat him on the back.

Curt
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1662.11 In reply to 1662.9 
> But it may be possible for me to license some code for this from another company - if that works out well it would definitely accelerate getting this into MoI.

Wow,
that would be more than cool!

regards,
michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All