how to change a points weight?

Next
Hello,

When I join to curves the curve has a sharp corner where they were merged together, how does one make the curve flow like with the other points?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
One way is to align the points in 1 row another is even to delete the corner point !
Peter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thank you, I was thinking deleting points is the only way but it would be nice if it could be done without deleting points.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I dont understand why you would need the edge point !
You can ad 2 points each side of that edge point if you need them and delete the corner point...
Peter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1592.5 In reply to 1592.3 
Hi tupu, later on I would like to make it possible to modify a corner point to a smooth point by changing a property or something like that. But right now in v1 the way to do it is to delete the sharp point and then insert a new smooth point there if you still want to have a point in that spot.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Not sure how you want to add a point because when you delete the corner point the curve runs away
and will not be able to introduce point where the other one was... see example
Peter

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1592.7 In reply to 1592.6 
Hi Peter, maybe if you didn't have any other nearby points you might want to add one in there if you wanted to re-shape it some in that area.

But yeah actually I think it is better to add in some nearby points first before deleting the corner point in such cases, it helps to keep the curve keep it initial shape more.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1592.8 In reply to 1592.5 
Michael - Are you talking about adding a smoothing function?

One nice feature I use in Corel Draw is the "reduce nodes" slider. I can free-hand draw by just clicking where I want a point (such as when tracing over a photo). I usually create about three times the number of points actually needed, then move the "reduce nodes" slider to average and smooth the lines. With the remaining nodes I then adjust the control points slightly to get my curves perfect. I find it a very fast way to draw free-form shapes because even if I'm off target on a few nodes, it all averages out when smoothing.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1592.9 In reply to 1592.8 
Hi Ed - I would like to add a smooth function in the future but here I was talking more about some way to switch a kind of property value for each point so that you could change a point from a corner point to a smooth type point.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks for the replies everyone. Ed, that's a good feature request.
Michael, sounds good that you are considering making it possible to switch between sharp and smooth point.
I just bought Moi3d yesterday after having used it under the beta period, great piece of software.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1592.11 In reply to 1592.10 
Hi Guys,

On this occasion what is wrong with just filleting the curves or trimming & making a blend, that way you have total control ??
--Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1592.12 In reply to 1592.11 
Hi Paul, that can work well for some situations, but also sometimes if you want to make subtle tweaks to the shape of the curve that can sometimes be easier by editing control points of a single smooth segment...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1592.13 In reply to 1592.12 
Hi Michael,

Yup agreed. IMO reducing node count is always a bonus when making surfaces from curves, perhaps adding 'handles' to points would give the user
the ability to make subtle changes whilst maintaining smoothness ?
--Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1592.14 In reply to 1592.13 
Hi Paul, well it would be tough to add handles on to every point in MoI. MoI uses NURBS curves, if you turn on the points for a single curve segment, you'll see that only the start and end points are on the curve. All the other interior points are not directly on the curve, so it would be hard to add handles on to them...

Bezier curve editors that focus on that type of handles actually break curves up into a whole bunch of little segments, with each segment made up of 4 control points. When you edit the handles between 2 segments in a non-symmetric way, that maintains tangency between the pieces, but actually breaks a different kind of smoothness between the pieces (curvature continuity).

That kind of smoothness break isn't that big of a deal for 2D outlines, but as you create 3D shapes that kind of break can start to become more noticeable especially in shiny highlights or reflection lines.

It is hard to do a handle-style editor without breaking this higher degree of smoothness...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All