Boolean difference

Next
Hi, tried to slice my möbius-like model in two pieces, but didn't get what I was hoping for. See the attached picture. The solid sphere is divided, but my model has been cut off, and you can see that it's not a solid. Can I make my model solid in some way?

/Lars

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1407.2 In reply to 1407.1 
Woops, just remebered from an earlier discussion with Michael that I had a small area inside the model that I had to join with the rest..
Now it's a solid.
/Lars

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1407.3 In reply to 1407.2 
Look like you have finished your shape now?

It is very easy for me when you answer your own questions! :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1407.4 In reply to 1407.3 
Realized you'd have to be quick in this forum, or else you'll give an answer, some extra thoughts and a tutorial while I was blinking...

I've done similar shapes and imported them to sketchup before, slicing, printing and cutting in plywood. But I'd like to do some large sculptures and have my slices done in a cnc, thats why I wanted to try MoI, to have a smoother output. One thing that I miss however is dimensions. Is it possible to make a model to a speific size, or would you model it first and then export to some CAD-program to set dimensions?

/Lars

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1407.5 In reply to 1407.4 
Hi Lars, cool sculpture! It will be fun to see a large scale version with your new shape.

> One thing that I miss however is dimensions. Is it possible to
> make a model to a speific size, or would you model it first and
> then export to some CAD-program to set dimensions?

Basically there are tools for specifying the size and location of things when you are first creating them.

Like for example when you draw a rectangle, there are Width: and Height: options shown in the upper-right corner of the main MoI window, and you can enter in specific values there to create a rectangle of a precise dimension.

If you want to adjust something to a specific dimension later on, probably the best way to do it right now would be to draw a rectangle of that dimension and use it as a snapping guide in the Scale command, let me know if you need any help with this.

In the future I do expect to add some additional edit tools for resizing objects to a particular dimension (of its bounding box) more easily, and also be able to add in dimension objects. But these latter will be more like annotations that help describe dimensions to people looking at your model later on (like in drawings and print outs), not really as a way to control the size.

For controlling sizes through editing dimensions, that really is the area of a different style of program like SolidWorks, Pro/E, etc... - they are built using a "constraint-based" system that allows for more of that kind of editing. MoI is not quite the same as that kind of system, MoI is a lot more kind of freeform and unconstrained. This kind of has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All