Conversion to DXF format

Next
Can anyone suggest a way of getting a file that I have created in this excellent bit of software converted to the Autocad DXF format please?

Many thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1162.2 In reply to 1162.1 
Seems there is a special moi converter 3dm to dxf
http://moi3d.com/wiki/Resources#3dmCurves2DXF_converter
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1162.3 In reply to 1162.2 
Thanks very much for that, I'll give it a try...

Cheers
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1162.4 In reply to 1162.3 
Hi Glyn - that will convert any curves you have over into curve objects in the DXF file, but it won't handle transferring surfaces or solids.

To transfer surfaces or solids, you will have to export to some other polygon file format such as .3ds or .obj and then use a format conversion program to create a polygon mesh .dxf file from that. Let me know if you need to do this, I think there are some free converters out there that can handle this part - they don't do wireframe curves though which is why I made that other utility.

For version 2.0 I want to work on adding DWG/DXF support integrated directly into MoI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1162.5 In reply to 1162.1 
I use this:

export as 3ds
import into Amapi or Cycas
export as dxf

should also work with Blender, but I haven't succeeded.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1162.6 In reply to 1162.5 
Any ideas on importing a dxf into MoI?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1162.7 In reply to 1162.6 
Hi Steve, it kind of depends on what is inside the DXF.

There are several different kinds of objects that can be contained inside of a DXF file, like polygon meshes, curves, or even ACIS solids saved from AutoCAD.

Probably the best general bet is to use Rhino to read the DXF and then save that as a .3dm from there.

If you have polygon mesh data in your file, then that will need a little different method - you would need to convert it to .obj format (there are some free converters out there), and then use this converter program: http://moi3d.com/wiki/Resources#Obj23dmWireframe_converter which will convert the polygon mesh data into wireframe lines that can then be read into MoI.

If you can post a small sample DXF here that has a sample of the kind of stuff you are using, that might help me make a more specific recommendation.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1162.8 In reply to 1162.7 
Hi Michael

Just to say first off that I think MoI is amazing and a pleasure to use. I am yet to discover all its features, but those I have seen so far are just great.
My work is architectural and my main 3d tools are Cycas and Sketchup. I use other 3d modellers (Amapi, Blender, Alibre, etc) to build furniture, bathroom fixtures, etc for my arch models. I have to say that the tools available and the ease of use put MoI way ahead of the other modellers I have used.

So for me it is perfect for modelling say furniture which I can then export as 3ds and import directly into Cycas.

I also need to draw contour maps from time to time for which I normally use Sketchup. But I thought I would try using the loft function in MoI. I usually import an image file into some CAD application and then trace the contours as polylines ( a sort of manual raster to vector conversion), export to Sketchup, position the contours vertically and then use the sandbox tools to produce a landscape.

So to answer your question, the dxf would contain polyline data or at most simple polygon meshes.

I did try saving a 2d contour map file as a pdf which I then imported into MoI. To my surprise it worked perfectly and MoI even managed to get vector data from the pdf.

I will try the route via obj and let you know how it goes.

Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All