MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: I miss 123d Design (the Fillet master)

Show messages:  1-15  16-35  36-55  56-75  76-95  96

31 May 2021   [#76] In reply to [#75]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> But I saw an artifact! take a look at below image.

It appears to possibly be just a display mesh artifact, if you export out the export mesher works fine there. So just ignore that display artifact.

re:
> But it is not a solid object. it is a joined object. So, if I can rectify this issue I would be able to
> create a Linked star in MOI :-)

Well it's pretty easy to see why it's not a solid, the end pieces are missing:

If you draw a line down the middle:

You can then select the line and edges like this and use Construct > Planar to build a cap there:

Use Edit > Join after those have been created to join the caps to the main piece to make a solid.

- MIchael

Image Attachments:
psygorn_ends.jpg  psygorn_ends2.jpg  psygorn_ends3.jpg 

31 May 2021   [#77] In reply to [#76]
Oh dear Michael u got me wrong! :-)

I was talking about something else!

I was talking about this 3dm file: https://filesend.io/188cbf8bb71592fbc6871b1468e781c5/Linked_Star_Filleted_With_123D.3dm It is the one that is a joined surface and not a solid! This is the one that if I could fix it I'd be happy :-)

The Object u showed in your previous message has to be open! I left it open on purpose :-) otherwise I cannot have my Linked-star object! :-)
31 May 2021   [#78] In reply to [#77]
Hi Psygorn, sorry I didn't understand properly. That other one looks like it has some pretty messy areas:

That sort of looks like pieces that were copied around a center point where the objects were not quite aligned with the center point.

Do you have a version of this before doing the filleting?

It looks like there are some areas that do not have naked edges, so one approach could be to delete problem areas and copy some good pieces without naked edges into that spot.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
psygorn_star1.jpg  psygorn_star2.jpg 

31 May 2021   [#79] In reply to [#77]
Hi Psygorn, maybe it would be good to start a new thread for your star object and also try to share any .3dm files you have for earlier stages of the model.

It's a complex object and it would probably be a good idea to make sure the earlier pieces are very accurately positioned.

- Michael
31 May 2021   [#80] In reply to [#78]
Hi Michael, :-)

> That other one looks like it has some pretty messy areas

Yes I noticed that! but I want to learn how I can fix it! then MOI would be enough for me to create such complex geometries! (No need to mention I love complex Geometrical shapes :-)

>That sort of looks like pieces that were copied around a center point where the objects were not quite aligned with the center point.

Yes, U can do it yourself just try to make copies of the open object.

> Do you have a version of this before doing the filleting?

I already shared it with you :-) Do you remember "Single_Piece_Modified_with_123Ddesign.3dm" in theory you should be able to create the Linked-Star with that object.

But in reality I think you might face some issues and end up having a joined surface.
31 May 2021   [#81] In reply to [#79]
Hi Michael,

>maybe it would be good to start a new thread for your star object and also try to share any .3dm files you have for earlier stages of the model.

Ok, I will and What name you suggest for the thread? Linked-Star?

>It's a complex object and it would probably be a good idea to make sure the earlier pieces are very accurately positioned.

Of course I tried to have everything positioned perfectly but u know, it seems somewhere some deviation gets in the way!
31 May 2021   [#82] In reply to [#81]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> Ok, I will and What name you suggest for the thread? Linked-Star?

Sure that's fine.

- Michael
31 May 2021   [#83] In reply to [#80]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> I already shared it with you :-) Do you remember "Single_Piece_Modified_with_123Ddesign.3dm"
> in theory you should be able to create the Linked-Star with that object.

Do you have this piece before it was sent into 123Ddesign for filleting?

- Michael
31 May 2021   [#84] In reply to [#83]
Hi Michael :-)

I am getting the hang of it! I did it in MOI only! :-) But it is not fillet-able in MOI.

This time I made the whole Object in MOI then exported it as STEM and then imported the whole model in 123Ddesign. it was a bit hard to select edges I wanted to fillet but I can say it is doable! :-)

Edit: And if you want to see the filleted version it is here (I might have missed some edges) :

https://filesend.io/bb7704265296e30e71f1af2ed7fa3bd3/Original_MOI_Piece_Filleted_in_123D.3dm

Attachments:
Original_MOI_Piece.3dm

31 May 2021   [#85] In reply to [#84]
HI Psygorn, that's looking really good now! The MoI filleter seems to be having a problem where it's not extending fillets to meet each other in a some spots. It constructs a bunch of the fillet surfaces but it's not able to trim the main body because of the missing pieces.

And yeah this method of building the whole thing first and then putting fillets on at the end seems more manageable than putting on the fillets before assembling.

- Michael
2 Jun 2021   [#86]
Hi Psygorn,

nice model.

sjoo (R.I.P) invented the Linking Stars model more than a decade ago, based on a model
from Bathsheba Grossman and my friend Jotero an I did also remakes of the model.

Maybe interesting for you and others to take a look at. I included also a basic .obj file
you can use with MoI's sub-d importer.

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/Qme4gNiLw5z7DjtXMv74jHJBTPLyUZXW59MrVsdYF1uaTU/LinkingStars

Regards
Stefan
2 Jun 2021   [#87]
And popularized by the stuning prog free TopMod! ;)
http://people.tamu.edu/~ergun/research/topology/download.html
A topologic Modeler

Because it was some easy to build it with TopMod!
my little album https://issuu.com/frenchy_pilou/docs/topmod

The UI of TopMod

2 Jun 2021   [#88]
Yes, the good old TopMod days. :-)

In the middle of the TopMod Gallery one can see sjoo's first LinkingStars design.

https://www.deviantart.com/sjoo/art/LinkingStars-Part-1-64482927

Regards
Stefan
4 Jun 2021   [#89] In reply to [#86]
Hi STEFAN,

Thank you for the information! I am interested in complex geometrical shapes.

I did not know sjoo(R.I.P) had invented linked-star! To me it is really interesting when I think there might be shapes or 3D object that could be invented!

Do you happen to know nice Forums in which people share knowledge about Geometry ( Specially 3 dimensional Geometry) I would like to know more about these objects. for example I just think there are similarities between Celtic knots and Linked-Star but I don't know for sure.

:-)
4 Jun 2021   [#90]
Hi Psygorn,

unfortunately, so it seems, the days of 3D MathArt are over.

My friend Jotero (Torolf Sauermann leader in 3D MathArt) run for
many years such a forum, where also sjoo, Pilou and others participated.

But he was many times ripped-off by companies and individuals and
also never received any support much, in form of, for example,
donations.

The only thing you can do is trying to find more resources about this
topic if you google for him, which may lead to other interesting links.

To get you started:

http://www.evolution-of-genius.de/gallery/default.htm

http://jotero.com/

And google for 'Torolf Sauermann'

Sorry that I can not be of better help!

P.S. Brian, here on the MoI Forum, is the only remaining
person, who does 3D MathArt related things with scripting
in MoI.

Best regards
Stefan
4 Jun 2021   [#91]
P.S. If you have Instagram you can follow Torolf there.

I do not have Instagram, but IIRC he shows there plenty of 3D Fractals.

Regards
Stefan
4 Jun 2021   [#92] In reply to [#91]
You can take an Instagram free register even you have not a phone! ;)
Just for see some incredible things and even you don't post anything!

https://www.instagram.com/joteromathart/

This page is a true gem : i burned my mouse's wheel! :)
15 Jun 2021   [#93] In reply to [#21]
You can get a confirmed clean, original installer for the last version of 123D Design ever released from: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/Autodesk-123D.shtml . Make sure to download the 64 bit version, unless you have a 32 bit OS. I still use 123D as my primary CAD modelling tool to this day. You can continue using it in perpetuity despite it having been discontinued. To convert the CAD models you export from it to .OBJ or .FBX files you can use either MOI 3D or Unreal Engine's Datasmith feature. 123D is aretty powerful tool itself with very robust filleting functionality in its own right. But only supports rolling ball fillets.

I use MOI 3D for advanced stuff that would only be doable by approximation using Loft in 123D Design. Such as Transform => Deform => Flow and Transform => Deform => Twist. And more recently for making airfoils using Sweep, which is much more versatile and powerful in MOI 3D. You can even use 123D Design's Loft tool to make spirals but MOI is much better developed powerful there as well. Apart from that, pretty much anything you can do with MOI 3D you can also do with 123D as well.

What I like about 123D Design is its interface, which feels more familiar and intuitive to me, and how robust it is with filleting edges or deleting surfaces or faces of solids and implicitly automatically extending neighboring surfaces or facets to fill in and cover the resulting gap to keep the solid solid.
15 Jun 2021   [#94] In reply to [#93]
Thank you LarryV,

:-) I can say I love MOI! due to two main reasons (1-Speed! 2-Great community it has! they are very supportive! ( it includes the add-ons made by people for it!) but sometimes it doesn't fillet very well at those times I will use 123D design! :-)
18 Jun 2021   [#95] In reply to [#24]
The web archive link is safe. The official link only allows a 32 bit download so it won't install on Win10. The web archive 64 bit works and runs I only performed a Norton Internet Security scan on the .exe, but it came back clean so I installed and it's running.

Show messages:  1-15  16-35  36-55  56-75  76-95  96