MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: I miss 123d Design (the Fillet master)

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-96

21 May 2021   [#41] In reply to [#39]
Hi PILOU,

No! I don't think its the case then why MOI is able to perform fillets on pentagonal objects?
21 May 2021   [#42] In reply to [#40]
Hi ed!

That works! haha

What a simple and useful trick! thanks :)

Yes, I'd be happy to know the technical explanation (@Michael)
21 May 2021   [#43] In reply to [#38]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> Does anyone have any idea why moi cannot perform fillets on my hexagonal objects
> while it can perform fillets on pentagonal ones?

I tested selecting this hexagonal piece:

And then I put a fillet of radius 0.2 on it which seemed to be fine:

I'll need some more details about what is not working over there for you.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
psygorn_fillet1.jpg  psygorn_fillet2.jpg 

21 May 2021   [#44] In reply to [#40]
Hi Ed,

re:
> Sometimes fillet needs multiple faces to be selected. I suspect it has to do with the smaller angle.

When you target only some edges coming out from a shared vertex location instead of all edges it's a much more difficult calculation for the filleter to do because it has to extend and intersect fillet surfaces against each other rather than being able to have the fillets come to a corner junction patch which doesn't need intersections.

- Michael
21 May 2021   [#45] In reply to [#43]
Hi Michael,

if you select other hexagonal pieces and try to perform fillet on them (let's say 0.2) you may not get a fillet!

Important: I don't want the inner edges to have fillets (simply because they are not visible) So please select a face (just outer Hexagonal face) and try to fillet it I believe fillet won't work!

And one more thing when you select all hexagonal shapes and fillet them then you cannot Boolean Union them. but if you don't fillet them Boolean Union works.
21 May 2021   [#46] In reply to [#44]
Hi Michael,

Even when I select edges that are not coming from a shared vertex I don't get a fillet for this particular example! I have a solution to my problem but I am just curious as to why fillet doesn't work for hexagonal pieces here! but it works for pentagonal ones!
21 May 2021   [#47] In reply to [#45]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> if you select other hexagonal pieces and try to perform fillet on them (let's say 0.2) you may not get a fillet!

Over here if I select all hexagonal pieces they all can be filleted with a radius of 0.2:

> Important: I don't want the inner edges to have fillets (simply because they are not visible) So please select
> a face (just outer Hexagonal face) and try to fillet it I believe fillet won't work!

I would recommend not to do it this way because it makes it more difficult for the filleter and doesn't work.

> And one more thing when you select all hexagonal shapes and fillet them then you cannot Boolean Union
> them. but if you don't fillet them Boolean Union works.

It can be difficult for booleans to handle pieces that barely graze each other with overlapping surface areas. If the pieces connect up to each other accurately enough then I'd recommend trying to delete faces that are overlapping and use Edit > Join to glue them together rather than boolean union which tries to intersect pieces.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
psygorn_fillet3.jpg  psygorn_fillet4.jpg 

21 May 2021   [#48] In reply to [#46]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> Even when I select edges that are not coming from a shared vertex I don't get a fillet for this particular example!

I'm not able to repeat that over here, see my examples above where all edges are being targeted, fillet is working ok then.

Can you show me a case with your objects where it's not working when all the edges coming off of a single vertex location are being filleted instead of only some of them?

> I have a solution to my problem but I am just curious as to why fillet doesn't work for hexagonal
> pieces here! but it works for pentagonal ones!

Well like I mentioned above when only some of the edges at a juncture area are being filleted it's a much more difficult case for the filleter to handle because it needs to do more work to extend and intersect fillet surfaces against each other. Those are pretty difficult calculations. As to exactly why it works for the fillet surfaces on your pentagonal cases and not your hexagonal ones, that's probably some sort of bug in the fillet intersector. It would probably take me something like 20 to 30 hours of investigatory work to try and answer it any better than that.

- Michael
21 May 2021   [#49]
In the same order of case...
curves must be always on the same plane ?

21 May 2021   [#50] In reply to [#47]
Hi Michael,

Sorry, I was wrong! When I said : "Fillet doesn't work even if edges come from a not shared vertix" ( I simply did not count for Vertixs of Back faces )

Thanks for your guide I was able to successfully join all the hexagonal outer surfaces. ( check the attached file)

However, I come upon new question how could I select loop faces like the image below? ( I know an script which will let user to select looped edges)

21 May 2021   [#51] In reply to [#49]
@ Pilou,

re:
> curves must be always on the same plane ?

Yes for curve filleting the segments around the corner to be filleted must be on the same plane.

For a non-planar curve like you have there you might try cutting away some space and then using Construct > Blend to put in a blend curve.

- Michael
21 May 2021   [#52] In reply to [#49]
Hi PILOU,

Take a look at below image:
Edit: And the attached file.

Attachments:
Soccer_Ball_Fillet_Problem_Example.3dm

21 May 2021   [#53] In reply to [#50]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> However, I come upon new question how could I select loop faces like the image
> below? ( I know an script which will let user to select looped edges)

Sorry I don't know of any script currently available that would automate that selection.

- Michael
21 May 2021   [#54] In reply to [#49]
And PILOU, sometimes it works without any problem!
Check the attached file.

Attachments:
Soccer_Ball_Fillet_Problem_Example_2.3dm

21 May 2021   [#55] In reply to [#53]
HI Michael,

Should I make a wish for it? ( On MOI V5 Wish list?) Or it is not doable no matter how hard I wish for it?
21 May 2021   [#56] In reply to [#55]
Hi Psygorn, you can certainly put in a wish for it. To make an actual script for it I would probably need a more specific description on how it should function and more examples. Otherwise it would be too easy to end up with a script that worked for this particular case but not in others.

- Michael
21 May 2021   [#57] In reply to [#54]
@ Psygorn
Have you tryed with 123D for example ?
Tested : working! ;) here with different values...

22 May 2021   [#58] In reply to [#49]
@Pilou

>>In the same order of case...
>>curves must be always on the same plane ?

Not so parametrable as Filet, for non planar curves, you can use the Max's "DelCorners" script.
If you want tune how much your curves will be round, you can use, before "DelCorners", a "Rebuild" (with Pts number) to define it.
Few possibilties for this tuning, but : Tested and it works !

I think it's easier than a blending process which has to be done step by step between 2 curves each time.
22 May 2021   [#59] In reply to [#58]
Indeed some impredictable but very smooth! :)

here use of Delcorners (but planar) + ExplodeMove

else without Delcorners (but planar)

22 May 2021   [#60] In reply to [#57]
Hi PILOU, unfortunately not because I don't have 123D on my machine!

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-96