MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Let's Model a Custom Truck!

Show messages:  1-9  10-29  30-33

29 Jul 2020   [#10]
Cool !
I put it in hurry on my Moi Site ...
...after your https://moiscript.weebly.com/la-voiture-de-ed.html ;)

So let's start ;)
https://moiscript.weebly.com/le-truck-de-ed.html
29 Jul 2020   [#11] In reply to [#8]
excellent ! thanks for sharing !
29 Jul 2020   [#12]
It's really cool Ed, thanks for making the tutorial!

- Michael
30 Jul 2020   [#13]
Very nicely done! Thanks Ed!
2 Aug 2020   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Excellent, these types of tutorials nicely represents the right thinking during the process of transformation from curves to solid/surface in MoI.
Thanks for sharing.
Mik
3 Aug 2020   [#15]
That was AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

Message 9899.16 was deleted

21 Aug 2020   [#17]
(spam deleted)
6 May 2021   [#18]
Very nice tutorial, Ed, many thanks for sharing.

I really need to use Network more often. It's quite powerful.
30 May 2021   [#19] In reply to [#1]
this is just what i was looking for. there are so many modern car modelling tutorials with the generic audi body shape that doesn't address the challenges of 50s car modelling.
tho in the 50s every year was unique.. now its almost like every years the same.
id love to see you do a 1959 cadillac
30 May 2021   [#20] In reply to [#19]
Thanks mrjynx - I hope the tutorial was useful.

As much as I like the 59 Caddy, modeling existing cars holds no interest for me. I prefer to blend features I like from several cars into a custom creation. That comes from growing up in Los Angeles in the 60's where every weekend, custom cars from miles around cruised the boulevard. It was like the movie American Graffiti on steroids.

Lately I've become interested in European cars from the 1930's. We called them "Big Fender Cars". They are true works of art.

Watch for a tutorial coming soon!

Ed Ferguson
31 May 2021   [#21] In reply to [#20]
Great tutorial, Ed, thx for sharing !

I'm a great fan of 30s and 40s Military U.S. trucks,
Fords, Chevies, Dodges, Studebakers and "Jimmies" (GMCs).

Looking forward to your next tutorial !
21 Aug 2021   [#22] In reply to [#20]
Would love to see a tutorial on a Delahaye or Duesenberg/Aubrn/Cord form the fat fender era...

I too love the early years of American hot rodding and those traditional styled hot rods. Not much into street rods but some rat rods remind me of the trad styled hot rods.

In the early 1960s I would clutter the family kitchen table with the parts from a 1/24th Monogram or 1/25th AMT, Revell, MPC, Johan, Aurora plastic car model kit much to the chagrin of my Mom who was trying to set the table for super.

In 1983 I restored a 1960 Corvette which I still own and take for a pleasure cruise on a sunny summer's day in Nova Scotia.

Great tutorial & many thanks.
21 Aug 2021   [#23] In reply to [#22]
Hi Kenmo, I love the 1960 Corvette!! And other 1960 cars too like even Volvo has that really cool compact for 1960! :)

- Michael
21 Aug 2021   [#24] In reply to [#22]
KENMO says, "Would love to see a tutorial on a Delahaye or Duesenberg/Aubrn/Cord form the fat fender era..."

KENMO, have you been looking over my shoulder the last couple of months? :) I love "fat fender" cars.

I can't give a specific time, but the model is essentially finished. Doing renders and the write up takes time.

I'll probably post a partial teaser shot as I get further along.

Keep your eye on the MoI forum :)

Ed Ferguson
21 Aug 2021   [#25] In reply to [#24]
I hope you have a youtube channel. I learnt more about MOI3D and car modeling in your post then all the stuff I read & watched elsewhere.

Can I ask what renderer do you use?

I use e-onsoftware's Vue or DAZ 3D's Iray. I also use 3DCoat's native renderer.

However since all three apps can not import .3dm, I must export from MOI3D as an obj which often gives me very bad topology (and I tried alot of settings)and causing issues with uv mapping and texturing in 3D Coat.

3DC's auto retopo feature gives me bad topology and I hate manual retopologyzing in 3D Coat. It's like modeling the object twice.

Cheers & many thanks
21 Aug 2021   [#26] In reply to [#25]
I use Keyshot Pro for rendering using the OBJ export from MoI. The two programs play very well together.

Keyshot can also import NURBs. They claim it gives smoother edges, but I can't perceive any improvement, so I stay with OBJ. Sometimes I adjust the MoI exporter to suit the particular model if needed. I've never had an issue with tessellation.

I have no experience with texturing programs. Normal Maps in Keyshot is all I use for texture.

Ed Ferguson
29 Apr 2023   [#27] In reply to [#20]
What a great tutorial, This helped more than any other tutorial I could find on MOI3D.

Many thanks, I only hope & pray you do more tutorials like this.
29 Apr 2023   [#28] In reply to [#27]
Thank you! I do have a car model that I started designing over a year ago. I need to put on the final details and make the tutorial. This one uses Max's SubD script for the body, and NURBS for everything else.

Ed Ferguson
30 Apr 2023   [#29] In reply to [#20]
"Big Fender Cars"

One just caught my attention on a TV show about Pebble Beach. The trunk and back fenders went on forever!

I'm not exactly sure what the specific term Big Fender Cars means; but, Delahaye must come close.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=delahaye+cars&iax=images&ia=images

Thank you for this tutorial. It was cool to follow along with each step. Loved it!

Tom

Show messages:  1-9  10-29  30-33