MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: [script] Morph between two curves

Show messages:  1-20  21-29

15 Dec 2013   [#1]
This is my new script. I think it can be useful in some cases.

[20.12.2013] v1.1
15 Dec 2013   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Max,

This looks interesting, can you please explain what it does, your images show the end result however it would be nice to show a few steps of what the input curves should look like.

Thanks
15 Dec 2013   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Danny,
It does a Morph between 2 curves. Create 2 curves of different shapes, then run the command. You have the option to choose the count.

This is pretty cool! We have a toolpath op in our CAM system that will morph between curves or surfaces.

Thanks Max!
15 Dec 2013   [#4]
That is pretty cool!
Can you make the same between 2 surfaces? Between 2 volumes ?

Does it important if the 2 curves have not the same number of control points ?
15 Dec 2013   [#5]
That's really interesting Max - I'll need to experiment.

Maybe use it to auto-generate intermediate Loft profiles so you can easily edit for greater precision?

Ed
15 Dec 2013   [#6]
Does it give the same result that you'd get by lofting a surface between the curves and then using the Iso curve tool on that surface?

Martin.
15 Dec 2013   [#7] In reply to [#3]
Hi Burr,

> It does a Morph between 2 curves.....

Still not getting it, I'll install it when I get home so I can get the jist of it.

Cheers
15 Dec 2013   [#8]
Hi Max.

Excellent script. I could really use it for a project i was working on a couple of months ago.

Thanks

Dinos

Image Attachments:
morph.jpg 

15 Dec 2013   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Thanks Max!

Similar to a Curve Blend in Illustrator.

I wonder if it could possibly use History like Loft?
15 Dec 2013   [#10]
Ok with your script + Lineweb you can make some crazzy thing! :)

Line Web: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3666.10
15 Dec 2013   [#11] In reply to [#6]
""""""""""Does it give the same result that you'd get by lofting a surface between the curves """""""""""

It's pretty close to the same as just lofting the 2 curves, with some slight differences. I guess you'de have to look at the script code to see how he's morphing.

It does give some interesting possibilities to being able to control the output. Like if you needed to tweak the loft in "Very specific areas", you could then re-run the loft on the morph curves with some changes.

I think it's a compliment to the isocurve, but not a replacement. First, it is automated with nice even space between the 2. The iso curve is more for working on an existing surface and staying with it. This is more for generating a surface. I like to think of it as Generating a surface from isocurve, as opposed to an isocurve from a surface. :o

Maybe the isocurve could be beefed up to do an "even spacing" over the entire surface, with a single pick!
15 Dec 2013   [#12]
Okay I get it :P

It's an automated/lazy person Loft then take sections of the Loft at certain increments :)

Thanks
16 Dec 2013   [#13] In reply to [#12]
""""It's an automated/lazy person Loft """"""

Well, in a sense. It allows you to work backwards in that sense. The other thing it can allow is to create a surface with a very specific point structure.... Like needed for "flow".....

The other thing is if you look at it with regard to 2d drawing/artists, you can do some cool stuff/shapes!
16 Dec 2013   [#14]
Great for 2D/3D hatching!

Image Attachments:
HatchCap.png 

16 Dec 2013   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Hi danperk, also for doing that kind of hatching trimming, you can use curve booleans as a shortcut instead of using Edit > Trim which it looks like you're doing there.

Start with all the hatch lines selected:

Run Construct > Boolean > Intersection, then select the closed curve region boundaries. That will then generate a result like this:

The lines will be cut by the boundary and only the parts of the line that are on the active area of the 2D region will be kept.

If you want the other way, use difference instead, that will slice away the stuff inside the active 2D region like this:

You can use Trim too, the booleans just basically automate the picking of which pieces to discard or keep.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
curve_hatch1.jpg  curve_hatch2.jpg  curve_hatch3.jpg 

16 Dec 2013   [#16]
Good tip, picking the discards was adding unnecessary work!

Thanks Michael!
16 Dec 2013   [#17]
Very cool Max! Thanks for a great script!

Michael T.
16 Dec 2013   [#18]
Wow this script looks awfully useful!
Many thanks for providing this!
19 Dec 2013   [#19]
Great script! However, sometimes a morph between two closed curves yields several intermediate morphed curves that are open instead. Which makes it difficult to use for further lofting, as it is very hard to find the open spot (I know there's a script for that too). Maybe could be improved? Thanks!
19 Dec 2013   [#20] In reply to [#19]
I used lines (opened curves) to build morphed curves. But now the script uses different method in situation when both curves are closed. It uses circles instead. :)
Thank you for advice.

Show messages:  1-20  21-29