MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Script to Batch Convert STEP to FBX

12 Mar   [#1]
Hello everyone,
I use Moi exclusively for converting STEP files to FBX to use them in Blender as I found the Mesh to be very good. When exporting, I almost always use the same settings. So I had the idea to speed up the whole process with a script and started to work with scripts in Moi. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find resources on the subject. The scripting part is not really well documented for my taste.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if it would be possible to write a script that doesn't even require starting the Moi UI. I was thinking of a shortcut on the desktop where I drag and drop my files to be converted. Then only a console opens (or maybe nothing at all) and the files are batch processed and exported as FBX files to the same location as their original step files.

If this does not work, is it possible to open an exporter window with a script in which I can select the step files?

Thanks for any help
12 Mar   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Leo, yes it's possible to use MoI in a batch conversion manner without showing the regular UI.

The way you do it is by passing in a .js script file name to moi.exe as a command line parameter.

Some more information here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#Batch

- Michael
14 Mar   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hey Michael,
Thanks for the fast response. It really helped me a lot to get on the right track.

I uploaded my first version of a batch script. For now it works with IGS FIles. You can drag and drop Files onto it after which it will create and fill a .js file with the converting Script.
It then passes the file to MoI where it gets processed. After this the .js file gets deleted.

Best,
Leo

Attachments:
LaunchMoIBatchConvert.cmd