MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Option to disable PositionData or to choose GPU to use?

28 Jan   [#1]
Hello,
I have a desktop with two monitors, one monitor is connected to the main GPU (GTX 1070Ti), and the other is connected to the integrated graphics (of an i-7 3770).

Under Windows, when applications are launched , they use the GPU that is directly plugged to the monitor that the application is launched on. Even trying to force the GPU to be used in the Graphics settings doesn't change this.

This is problematic because my integrated GPU is not powerful enough, and the computer crashes when MoI is launched on the second monitor.
I tried disabling "Remember window locations based on monitor connection" in Windows Display settings, but this does nothing because MoI remembers its position in its ini config file.

If I keep MoI in my second monitor when I close it, it will definitely crash my computer the next time I launch it.

Is there any good solution for this?
28 Jan   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Flowgun, does your GPU not have multiple outputs so you can plug both monitors into the GTX 1070Ti?

There isn't currently any way to prevent Moi from storing the window position when it closes but I will add in a switch in moi.ini to do that.

- Michael
28 Jan   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thank you,
I have multiple outputs and I was using an adapter on one of them, but the adapter became faulty, so I reverted to using the integrated GPU as a workaround.

I believe that this is more of a Windows bug. if it can manage to keep on using the main GPU in the second monitor when it's dragged to it, it should be able to launch it with either GPUs.
Windows 11 also took control over what GPU to use from the nvidia driver, but it's doing a terrible job managing it.

Anyways, more options are good. Especially that Windows can now store window positions on its own (probably doing a terrible job at that too though).

Edit: My current workaround is to set moi.ini to "ReadOnly".
28 Jan   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Flowgun, there will be 2 new settings in the next v5 beta:

[Main Window]
<...>
ReadPositionDataOnOpen=y
WritePositionDataOnClose=y

If you set WritePositionDataOnClose=n then it won't update the stored position data at program close and if you set ReadPositionDataOnOpen=n it will use the default positioning when MoI opens instead of reading it from moi.ini .

- Michael