MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Trying to create a solid body

Show messages: All  1-11  12-15

8 Jan   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Thank you so much Michael. I'm still early in the learning phase, so I really do apologize if these are issues I should have realized.
8 Jan   [#13] In reply to [#11]
Im a little confused. You said you trimmed it and got that nice flat surface, whenever I trim using a path. it just cuts a line . Am I missing an important feature?
8 Jan   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Hi Billabong, sorry I kind of glossed over some of the details.

What I actually did in some detail is like this:

Deleted the current fill in pieces:

Take the profile curve that I had drawn in the Right side view and extrude it out into a surface:

Select both the extruded surface and the main piece:

Run Edit > Trim and at the prompt where it asks you to select cutting objects, just push "Done" without doing any other selection. This does a "mutual trim" where each object is being cut and working as a cutting object as well:
Push Done to finish the Trim command and leave the pieces, delete this piece:

And delete this little strip piece:

Then the 2 remaining pieces can be selected and run Edit > Join to glue them together into a solid.

If you're able to work on pieces as solids instead then several of these steps are handled automatically when you do a boolean. Booleans will automatically extrude out curves and leave the "side walls" that are generated from them and automatically determine pieces to discard and automatically join the pieces together. But booleans decide which pieces to keep based on what volume they are contained inside of so you need to be working on a solid to use them.

Hope that makes more sense.

So the other thing that is good to get used to is to try and plan in advance that you are going to be cutting pieces to a common boundary like this and so you want to let pieces extend a ways past where the cut will be. For both Trim and Booleans. Don't try to constrain surfaces too much to try and force them to directly follow the boundary in their initial construction that can make stressed surfaces that are kinda trying to do too much all in one go.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
drone_trim3.jpg  drone_trim4.jpg  drone_trim5.jpg  drone_trim6.jpg  drone_trim7.jpg  drone_trim8.jpg 

8 Jan   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Makes perfect sense! Thank you so much.

Show messages: All  1-11  12-15