MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Black viewport windows after PC has been locked

Show messages: All  1-7  8-16

29 Jan 2023   [#8] In reply to [#1]
Hi Peter,

> [...] doesn't give me much confidence for the rest of the software.

> Is there a fix for this or just something that has to be lived with?

As a Mac user I don't have any relevant insight to offer into the problem you've run into, but as a long time user of MoI I strongly suspect that an answer will be found soon. This community of enthusiastic users continues to amaze me with the support they offer to other users, and Michael Gibson who is the author of MoI is beyond compare (in my experience) when it comes to supporting his users. In some software "beta" means beware but with MoI I begin using Michael's beta versions as soon as they become available because his attention to code quality in the first place and follow-up fixes in the second means I seldom see bugs last very long. I only mention the beta versions as an indication of code quality and attention to detail.

As to your issue, my hunch (along with Burr & Brian) is something to do with video drivers...

--Larry
29 Jan 2023   [#9]
You have a driver that was released 3 days ago.

I would start there. But first i would wait for Michaels response. It will be much more informed!

Maybe he has sundays off!

And to the follow up, currently the issue “is” not something people generally experience or expect.

Message 10972.10 was deleted

29 Jan 2023   [#11] In reply to [#1]
Hi Peter, yes as others have mentioned above it's likely to be a bug in the video driver.

If you unmaximize and resize the unmaximized window does it refresh then?

You might try rolling back your video driver to the previous one and see if that does any good.

Transitioning to and from sleep mode is a pretty complex area of the operating system and it is not that unusual for there to be driver bugs in this area.

Another thing you could try is to switch the graphics interface that MoI is using. To do that go to Options > General > "Edit .ini file" button and find GraphicsAPI=Auto and set it to GraphicsAPI=OpenGL and see if you get different driver behavior.

MoI defaults to using the Direct3D11 GPU interface which usually on Windows is the most stable but possibly not on your specific hardware/driver environment.

- Michael

Message 10972.12 was deleted

29 Jan 2023   [#13] In reply to [#12]

Hey Brian,
The “gforce experience” you linked to is a software for managing your driver environment and various things, mostly for gamers. Its not the driver

Also, its mostly recommended to get your driver downloads from Nvidia. I wouldn't download them from 3rd party websites

I built my son a gaming computer and used a 2080ti. It is a monster. All the effort went into matching it with the motherboard and ram and hard drive.

Message 10972.14 was deleted

29 Jan 2023   [#15] In reply to [#13]
Brian,
I’m sorry i didn't mean to sound like “.your post is irrelevant” and you should not post.

I had read you “haven't put much time in the area” and i was meaning to give you a bit of the filler for an “aha “ moment. You and i having a sidebar.

I always read your posts in there entirety and they are meaningful for me.
30 Jan 2023   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Hi Burr,

Thankyou for the "heads-up" on the difference of the basic video card driver(s), and the gaming environment driver(s). The posts were deleted to avoid further confusing of the forum topic.
Hopefully Peter will follow up with the details of a fix for the "blacked out viewports."
I am curious for the results.

- Brian

Show messages: All  1-7  8-16