MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: How to flatten a shape but keep measurements

25 Jan 2023   [#1]
Good day.

I have a few measurements that I need to flatten but I need to keep the measurements (if that makes sense).

The shape (attached file) is the end shape but I need to cut it from a flat piece of wood and then bend it into the shape.

Is this possible?

Thank you!

Attachments:
flatten.3dm

Image Attachments:
flattenpic.jpg 

25 Jan 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Something like that ? (in view Front )

So you will see that in the 3D view! ;)

25 Jan 2023   [#3] In reply to [#2]
No that wont work since it does change the length.

After I cut it I have to bend it with the exact same measurements.

tnx.
25 Jan 2023   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Matadem, a surface that can be flattened down to a plane such that it can be cut out and bent back into the 3D shape along ruling lines is called a "Developable surface".

Moi does not currently have any tools specifically for working with developable surfaces. Rhino does have such tools, there is an "UnrollSrf" command in Rhino that you could use to generate the flat pattern from the 3D ruled surface.

But in MoI it could be possible for a pretty simple case like you have here to use the Curve to Curve variant of the Transform > Deform > Flow command.

You'll need a centerline curve, here I made it by squishing down one of the 3D curves but if you have an original 2D construction curve use that:

Then you'll also need to draw a line like this:

Select the object:

Then run Transform > Deform > Flow and at the first prompt for the base object select the centerline curve and at the second prompt select the line as the target curve. That should generate your flat pattern:

The length of the curved centerline will match the length along the flattened centerline.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
matadem_unrollsrf1.jpg  matadem_unrollsrf2.jpg  matadem_unrollsrf3.jpg  matadem_unrollsrf4.jpg 

25 Jan 2023   [#5]
I didn't quite understand the problem! :)

Just a little advice why not centered the object on the origine above the grid and not floating in the empty space! ;)
25 Jan 2023   [#6]
Got it to work!

Thanks to all!