MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: API PointPicker without HTML UI

23 Jan 2023   [#1]
Hi

I would appreciate any ideas on how to let the user select an unknown amount of points.

I noticed that using PointPicker to select multiple points works fine if the command has a UI/HTML (moi.ui.commandUI is available).
In this case `pointpicker.event` will include events triggered by the `commandUI` in particular:

- Enter key will trigger the "done" event, and the "Esc" key will trigger the "cancel". Both of these events I can catch with `pointpicker.event`.
- You can also use `moi.command.registerCommandSpecificShortcutKey`.

On the other hand, I haven't found a method to indicate that "I'm done selecting points" when you don't have a UI.

I can work around this if I know the number of points to select before entering my `waitForEvent` loop.
23 Jan 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Joe,

re:
> On the other hand, I haven't found a method to indicate that "I'm done selecting points" when
> you don't have a UI.

The way that is done in MoI is by having a a "Done" button. Then Enter or right-click in a viewport are shortcuts for pushing "Done".

Why are you trying to do it without any UI?

Without any UI the pointpicker will still generate a "cancel" event and waitForEvent() will return false when the Esc key is pressed, while a successful pick will generate "finished" so you could look for the cancel to stop picking points.

But it would be best to show UI with a "Done" button so it could behave similar to existing MoI commands.

- Michael
23 Jan 2023   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Michael

I appreciate your help.

My UI is running on a separate dialog outside the scope of `moi.command.execCommand()`.

For now, I'm gonna use `Esc`/`cancel`, albeit that was my actual cue to cancel...
23 Jan 2023   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Joe, if you want to have a "done" type button on your dialog you can have it trigger a UI event itself like this:

onclick="moi.ui.fireUIEvent( 'done' );"

This is done automatically for controls inside of the command UI (they generate a UI event using their id="" value) but you can also trigger it directly as well.

- Michael
23 Jan 2023   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Thanks...

That will work really well.

PS:

I know you must be super busy and appreciate your help, still trying to learn and still digging and finding a treasure of information in the forums. So just to add my grain of sand I started to document things in GitHub. It is still in its early stages, I'm mainly just dumping stuff, but hopefully, it will take form.

https://github.com/ctkjose/moi3d
23 Jan 2023   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Joe, thanks for collecting info on GitHub, I have added a link to there from https://moi3d.com/wiki/Scripting

Thanks, - Michael