MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: A question about the rebuild command.

Show messages: All  1-3  4-18

16 Jan 2023   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi pafurijaz,

re:
> have polylines converted into bicubic bezier by taking endpoints for the CVs of curves

The Rebuild command has a "Mode = Endpoints" option that you can set for that use. It will make a smooth curve interpolating the endpoints of a polyline.

- Michael
16 Jan 2023   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Wow... this is one features that I really wanted.
Thanks for this tip...

I tested but don't it was what i thought.
17 Jan 2023   [#6]
Like this ?

<< It will make a smooth curve interpolating the endpoints of a polyline.
??

17 Jan 2023   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Pilou, you would need to increase the "Break angle" option for it to have an effect on your polyline shown there in "Endpoints" mode.

Any line segments with an angle greater than the break angle will not be interpolated.

That's so on a polyline like this the large corners stay sharp and only the areas that are trying to resemble a smooth curve are modified:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
pilou_polyline_rebuild.jpg 

17 Jan 2023   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Ok seems more clear! :)
18 Jan 2023   [#9]
I've test with increased break angle, but if was possible will great if the command take the existing CV points to make a curve.

Below and image where the black is the source polyline , the green is manually done by creating a CV curve snapping on every CV point of the polyline and the last is obtained via Rebuild command with 180° breaking angle, but is what I want.

Rebuild attempt
18 Jan 2023   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hi pafurijaz, the "Endpoints" mode is meant to be used on a polyline that is trying to resemble a smooth curve with a denser set of points than what you show in your example.

I guess there could be an option added for whether to make a curve by interpolation or by using the points as the control polygon of the curve.

I'm not quite sure what to label it though.

- Michael
18 Jan 2023   [#11] In reply to [#10]
I really hope you can do it, for me this option could solve some problems I face when working with polygonal models of hulls.
I have the label... "Control Polygon" or maybe "CV points"

Thanks.
18 Jan 2023   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi pafurijaz,

re:
> I have the label... "Control Polygon" or maybe "CV points"

Yes the option would be a dropdown that could have "Interpolate" or "Control points" as the 2 options in the dropdown.

The label part that I'm not sure about is what to put as the label in front of the dropdown, like where it says "Mode:" in the rebuild options currently.

- Michael
18 Jan 2023   [#13]
I see that rebuild curve is the more flexible tool.
But when I use pipe2 after, it doesn´t work. It´s the only case I need to reconstruct curve. Can you tell me why?
Koi
18 Jan 2023   [#14] In reply to [#13]
I don't see problem...to Pipe2 after a rebuilded curve...

18 Jan 2023   [#15] In reply to [#13]
Hi Koi,

re:
> But when I use pipe2 after, it doesn´t work. It´s the only case I need to reconstruct curve. Can you tell me why?

It's difficult to know why without being able to examine the curve. Please post the .3dm model file with the curve in it.

- Michael
18 Jan 2023   [#16] In reply to [#11]
Hi pafurijaz, I figured out calling it "Points: Interpolate" or "Points: CVs" doesn't take up too much space.

I've got an option for that set up for the next beta.

Thanks, - Michael
19 Jan 2023   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Awesome..

exultation gif
19 Jan 2023   [#18] In reply to [#15]
hi frenchy pilou and Michael,

thanks for your answers! You confused me, that it is possible.. So I tired again, and it works. I can´t tell you what I did wrong.
I´m sorry for taking your time for that.

Koi

Show messages: All  1-3  4-18