MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Converting a file to V5???

15 Jan 2023   [#1]
Hi all,

So, I have a file that I'm trying to open as a V5 3dm file. I've tried converting into a V5 file using the Save As/Export command in Rhino but when I have MOI try to open it, all I get is a blank workspace, with no object visible. Any ideas on converting this V7 file into something that MOI can open? I've attached it in several file formats in case there's something that I've done wrong.

Many thanks,

Robert

Attachments:
Kelvinprise Forward Hull Assembly From Rhino_v5.3dm

15 Jan 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Robert, it's not coming in because the object in the .3dm file is a triangle mesh type object and not a NURBS type of object.

MoI is not set up to work with polygon mesh data for modeling so it will just skip over those kinds of objects.

If you can convert it into an .obj file you could use the OBJ to Wireframe converter from here (http://moi3d.com/resources#Obj23dmWireframe_converter) to convert the polygon data into lines in a .3dm file which can then be opened in MoI to see a wireframe of the mesh object

But basically that type of object data where it's made up of a whole bunch of little triangles and not structured surfaces is not suitable for working on with MoI.

- Michael