MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Rectangle of specific size on surface of cylinder

11 Jan 2023   [#1]

I want to wrap (not project!) the rectangular shape around the cylinder. Imagine the rectangle as a sticker that I want to glue onto the surface. That's actually exactly what it's going to be, a groove to place a sticker that is 41 mm in width.

I probably can use Flow somehow but so far I haven't found the right order of operations.

Image Attachments:
2023-01-12-04-36-14-MoI.png 

11 Jan 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Andre, using curve-to-curve Flow is probably the easiest way to do that accurately.

To set it up, draw a line underneath the rectangle, and have a circle or arc as the target curve, something like this:

Then to do it, select the rectangle by itself to start with. Then run Transform > Deform > Flow.

The prompt in the upper right area of the main window will say "Select base curve or surface". Select the line as the base curve.

Then at the next prompt where it says to select the target curve select the circle.

That will wrap the rectangle along the perimeter of the circle using the same length as the base line:

Another way you could directly construct it would be when you're drawing an arc from center point there is an option for entering in the arc length in the command options:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
arc_length_option.jpg  curve_to_curve_flow.jpg  curve_to_curve_flow2.jpg