MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: API issues moving windows

Show messages: All  1-6  7-11

9 Jan 2023   [#7] In reply to [#5]
i already tried that, using a setTimeout in the dialog’s html after/before the windows load/ready event.
9 Jan 2023   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Joe, so a dialog will fire a 'display' UI event when it's finished loading so it should be possible to wait for that to happen before calling .move(x,y) on it.

Try like this:
code:
var dlg = moi.ui.createDialog( '<html><body class="DialogBody"><div>testing</div><div>testing</div><div>testing</div><moi:DialogClose/></body></html>' );

while ( dlg.waitForEvent() )
{
    if ( dlg.event == "display" )
        break;
}

dlg.window.move( 10, 10 );

I have also got it set up for the next beta so that if a script calls .move() or .resize() on a window before it has finished loading it will record the given position or size and apply it after it has loaded.

- Michael
23 Jan 2023   [#9] In reply to [#8]
@Michael
code:
var dlg = moi.ui.createDialog( '<html><body class="DialogBody"><div>testing...</div><moi:DialogClose/></body></html>', 'resizable,defaultWidth:350,defaultHeight:200' );

while ( dlg.waitForEvent() ){
        break;
}

dlg.window.move( 10, 10 );

1. I was wondering if you can share a bit more info on what's going on behind the scene. I'm trying to write my plugin with more asynchronous code, promises, and callbacks, and attempting to use `createDialog` for something it was not meant for, ie: panels and toolbars.

I can get `resize()` to work but not `move()`...

After doing some testing I notice (speculating) the following:

- The HTML view (QT WebView) is loaded and all of the rendering and DOM events are completed, prior to the dialog's "display" event. You can manipulate DOM/window without issues at this point.

- I'm speculating that the window/QT layout is modified after the WebView's triggered the load completed, something along the lines of `restoreGeometry`, `restoreState`. The window is centered (relative to the main) (as an expected behavior of a dialog) and window dimensions are restored.

- After that, the `display` event is triggered.

- You can handle the "Esc" in javascript, it always dismisses the dialog.

2. I have a couple of wishes/ramblings!

It would be cool if you add a couple of signals to your QTObjects, that would make this type of interaction more event-driven.

In createDialog() there could be additional window parameters to control its behavior, or maybe a new openWindow() function like

code:
var dialog = moi.ui.openWindow(html, 'resizeable,defaultWidth:380,defaultHeight:420,isModal:true,isCentered:true,style:Dialog,title:My Dialog', moi.ui.mainWindow );

In this example, `isModal ` means that it blocks interaction with MoI until it is dismissed (Qt::ApplicationModal).

Style control the layout and window type like Qt::Window, Qt::Dialog, Qt::Tool, Qt::Popup, etc. Allowing the FramelessWindowHint would be cool to do HUDs and overlays.

===EDITS ====

More observations

`defaultWidth` and `defaultHeight` only work the first time the dialog is used, subsequent calls to the same code/command ignore these values. They work if the actual HTML contents or the URL changes from the previous call.

re
>> I have also got it set up for the next beta so that if a script calls .move() or .resize() on a window before it has finished loading it will record the given position or size and apply it after it has loaded.

I actually did that, I tried two approaches, one would concatenate JS code that would be executed after the `display` event, sort of like a jquery "ready" function. The other would store properties in the window object with a flag to resize/move. Among others, the object would have things like minWidth and minHeight to limit `resize` (you can not change the size by code unless the window has resizable property).

The `resize()` works, but `move()` never worked.
23 Jan 2023   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hi Joe,

re:
> I can get `resize()` to work but not `move()`...

Is it possible that the coordinates you are giving to move() are not at a visible point on the desktop window? Maybe the y coordinate in particular is underneath the Mac top menu bar.

What happens if you try running this version:

code:
var dlg = moi.ui.createDialog( '<html><body class="DialogBody"><div>testing...</div><moi:DialogClose/></body></html>', 'resizable,defaultWidth:350,defaultHeight:200' );

while ( dlg.waitForEvent() ){
        break;
}

dlg.window.move( 100, 100 );

> In this example, `isModal ` means that it blocks interaction with MoI until it is dismissed (Qt::ApplicationModal).

You can do a modal dialog by calling dialog.window.doModal(); after moi.ui.createDialog(). That will call setWindowModality( Qt::WindowModal );

> Style control the layout and window type like Qt::Window, Qt::Dialog, Qt::Tool, Qt::Popup, etc. Allowing
> the FramelessWindowHint would be cool to do HUDs and overlays.

You can use var menu = moi.ui.showMenu() to create a Qt::Popup window with FramelessWindowHint instead of a dialog.

The options you can currently set for a dialog are:
resizable, fixedWidth, fixedHeight, defaultWidth, defaultHeight, and noCloseButton.

- Michael
24 Jan 2023   [#11] In reply to [#10]
@Michael

Thanks for directing me in the right direction. My values were always positive, but kept trying and figure out the issue is MacOS's Menu Bar.

I have to keep my "Y" above 24pt (in Big Sur and above).

Show messages: All  1-6  7-11