MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Lumber script makes standard dimensional lumber

5 Jan 2023   [#1]
Here’s a variation on MoI’s Box command that produces standard dimensional lumber. Not much more needs to be said other than that the intent was to reduce errors that might arise by typing incorrect values for dimensions.

The “database” in Lumber.htm is easy to edit to add other sizes, just make sure to follow the option value formatting, providing dimensions in both inches and millimeters. The script will choose which to use based upon the current model units. I did it this way as I believe that the dimensions are slightly different in non-US markets.

--Larry

Attachments:
Lumber-001.zip

6 Jan 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
That is such an awesome script. Just went in and tried it. I checked the dimensions. And said Wow! How cool is that. That will really help when I draw up my shelving ideas. Thanks Larry. Happy 2023 man.
6 Jan 2023   [#3]
Have you an image of the UI's Script ?
6 Jan 2023   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Pilou, I was so curious? Do you create all those pages in the wiki and the elephant repository. I can tell someone very creative with lots of artistic abilty is creating all these pages. I'm alway's amazed with the artistry in all the documentation for Moi3D. I have learned so many things studying that repository. Also always amazed at your artwork. Thanks so much Pilou.
6 Jan 2023   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi Pilou,

Not much to the UI... ;-}

--Larry

Image Attachments:
Lumber.png 

6 Jan 2023   [#6] In reply to [#1]
Cool Larry - I could have used this when designing my gas fireplace framing in MoI last year. I hate fractions :)

Ed Ferguson
6 Jan 2023   [#7] In reply to [#6]
The idea came to me *after* I did a model of a pole building...lots of dimensional lumber. Such a simple script to make that task a bit easier and less error prone.

Nice model Ed!

--Larry
6 Jan 2023   [#8] In reply to [#4]
On the Elephant Repository, on my site, and on some pages I assume yes !)
On the Wiki itself I don't believe...it's too time consuming to Edit...
6 Jan 2023   [#9] In reply to [#5]
@Larry
OK I see now! :)
Not a big deal to make this script in French! :) Done!
https://moiscript.weebly.com/portes-et-fenecirctres.html

6 Jan 2023   [#10] In reply to [#6]
That fireplace looks really nice. I was looking real close how you did your layout.

So awesome seeing Moi3D being used like that. Most of the time I just draw up parts and pieces to 3d print.

Thanks for showing this functional schematic Ed. I have started drawing up shelving that I plan on making.

Larry's Lumber dimension script will be very helpful. Thanks again.
6 Jan 2023   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Thanks Specktech - Yeah, some folks could build that using just a rough hand sketch - not me :) There were some critical dimensions for framing and venting that needed to be met in order to pass inspection, never mind that when the fireplace was delivered it needed to slide in perfectly with room to attach gas & electrical. It really helped to be able to rotate the 3D model and see it from all sides. When cutting a 10" vent hole through your wall, you really want to be sure it's in the right spot :)

Ed Ferguson