MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V5 beta May-22-2022 available now

Show messages:  1-20  …  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-120  121-140  141-145

29 Nov 2022   [#101] In reply to [#98]
Hi danperk, so actually there is a theme setting that you can use to modify the drag rectangle color.

There isn't a control for it in the theme editor editor UI but you can modify it by changing the theme colors directly.

To do that in the theme dialog (Options > General > "Manage themes") click the "Open themes folder" button and inside your theme's folder edit the defines.inc file in a text editor.

Inside the defines.inc file, the setting you need to modify is this one:
LINE_UNSELECTED_COLOR #000000

- Michael
29 Nov 2022   [#102]
Worked perfectly, Thanks Michael!
29 Nov 2022   [#103] In reply to [#101]
Setting the color to #ffffff, (White) seems like a good choice to me, for the Dark theme.

- Brian
25 Dec 2022   [#104]
Earlier today I switched from BrianDark theme to Default theme. (MoI5beta)
A couple of hours later, the Default theme had the Objects, Types, and Styles dropdown menu's in Dark theme.
Switching back to BrianDark, and the 3 dropdown menu's were in Default theme.
Same result with a couple more switches.

Then I switched to terminal green, and back to Default, and the menu's were correct theme colors.
Switched to Dark, and the menu's colors were also correct.

Now I switched to terminal green, and the menu's were Dark. (>>>With the Style dropdown menu open during the change<<<)
Switched to Dark, and the menu's are green.
Switched to Default, and the menu's are green.
Switched to Dark, and the menu's are Default color...

To sum it up,
If the Style dropdown menu is open (or one of the two other dropdown menu's is open), when the Theme is changed, the new Theme had the previous theme for the 3 dropdown menu's.

- Brian
25 Dec 2022   [#105] In reply to [#104]
Hi Brian, thanks for reporting this bug, I think it's fixed up for the next release.

In the meantime if you see the scene browser not updating to the current theme you can exit MoI and restart it and that should fix it.

Thanks, - Michael
26 Dec 2022   [#106] In reply to [#105]
Cool.

Later today I want to check out the style of Leaders, and relation, if any, to presets.

Coordinates script had silver leaders?
Probably nothing...

- Brian
8 Jan 2023   [#107]
Hello Michael,

in MOI3D I get an artifact when I join two surfaces to make a solid in C-plane mode (otherwise (I mean in default coordinates) I don't get those artifacts) Could it be a bug? I checked both MOI V5 and V4 they both behave the same!

Best,
Psygorn
8 Jan 2023   [#108] In reply to [#107]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> in MOI3D I get an artifact when I join two surfaces to make a solid in C-plane mode (otherwise (I mean
> in default coordinates) I don't get those artifacts) Could it be a bug?

It might be, can you please send me the file with the 2 surfaces in them before joining?

You can post it as an attachment here, or e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com .

Thanks, - Michael
8 Jan 2023   [#109] In reply to [#108]
Hi Michael,

Sure!

I will send the file here!

Edit: Dear Michael I forgot to mention that there is a nasty curve close to the base of the surface, and I think that curvature is responsible for the artifact However, this happens in C-plane mode not default mode!

Attachments:
Possible_Bug_MOI_5.3dm

8 Jan 2023   [#110]
Hi,
I have opened your file and separate the surface to see how surfaces are made with Show Pts.
The problem seems to be in top of the surface with messy concentrated points.
Size of this group of points is 0.02 x 0.00 x 0.09.
Perhaps reconstruct your surfaces will fix the problem.

Have fun

Image Attachments:
top_surface_01.PNG  top_surface_02.PNG 

8 Jan 2023   [#111] In reply to [#109]
Hi Psygorn, thanks for sending the file. Over here if I reset the cplane back to default and then mirror and join in the Front view I seem to get the same artifact.

Are you picking the mirror line in some other viewport to get the different behavior?

I think the root of the problem is it kind of folds back on itself in this area here:

Thanks, - MIchael

Image Attachments:
psygorn_folding1.jpg  psygorn_folding2.jpg 

9 Jan 2023   [#112] In reply to [#111]
Hi Michael,

Yes, you are right the root of the problem is that nasty fold close to the base of the surface I was working on. However, I thought I should report it to you because:

when I mirror the surface in C-plane mode and then join it I get an artifact and this issue doesn't occur in default mode! So, I thought I should report it to you!

And one more thing: If it is possible for you please mirror the surface along the green axis in C-plane mode (the file I sent) but don't join the two surfaces just close MOI3D and save the changes you made, then re-open it and
you probably will see the artifact on the Mirrored surface.

>Over here if I reset the cplane back to default and then mirror and join in the Front view I seem to get the same artifact.

Dear Michale as I mentioned before when I reset the C-plane back to default and then mirror the surface along the green axis in the Front or Right view I don't get any artifact!

I just thought I had to report it to you, I don't think it is a big deal :-)

Best,
Psygorn.
9 Jan 2023   [#113] In reply to [#112]
Thanks for reporting it Psygorn!

- Michael
19 Feb 2023   [#114] In reply to [#1]
Good Morning to all.

I'm writing as user of a Windows ARM PC, for sure MoI can run also in on this kind of device with an emulation of x86 instruction.
But I hope that you would consinder to compile a Windows Arm version for improve performance in this kind of device.

I want to focalize your attention in some points that often isn't know:
-For start it's possible convert the core software and leave plugin emulated
-The ARM version is not linked to the Microsoft Store in any way
-Isn't necessary make an UWP, however, it is worth considering distribution via MSIX (also independent of the Store) for Windows 11 (also installable from Windows 7!) because it allows virtualization of the registry and therefore does not degrade the Windows registry.
-If software use openGL or CL there is a compatibility extension that the user can download on it's ARM PC

I'm not a developer but I'm a well informed user, if you need more information I'm here for give my contribute.

You already do the work for Mac, why you can't do it for Windows that is much is more popular among CAD users?

Thank you!
19 Feb 2023   [#115] In reply to [#114]
Hi duble0,

re:
> You already do the work for Mac, why you can't do it for Windows that is
> much is more popular among CAD users?

Well one reason is simply because nobody has asked for it, I think you are the first person to mention it.

- Michael
19 Feb 2023   [#116] In reply to [#115]
In Italy we say "It's like the dog biting its own tail":
I think there is a lot of prejudice about this type of devices, just read around the web many folks believe that windows arm devices are at the level of Intel Atom. So they tend to advise against them. So few buy them. Currently I can use all x64 programs for windows on my Surface Pro X, however having to run them in emulation I lose in performance and battery life. In this way a fairly performing product becomes only sufficient.
Do not think that I am here to cry because I made a wrong purchase, indeed I am very happy with my Pro X, as you can see I use Rhino quietly. But, having tried MoI a few years ago, I find that it has an interface more suited to a "touch and pen" device.

A great work in this way was made by Shapr3D that start with iPad and moved on Mac, Android ad Windows, so this software born native for ARM architecture and for touch devices. For every platform it use a subscription plan distributed by "platform stores".

You spended time for compile MoI for M1 CPU that was imposed by Apple to all new MAC products: this wasn't a decision in freedom. Now the level of performance in Windows ARM PCs is the same of M1 CPU. So the technology is sufficiently mature for ARM software on Windows; do a Windows ARM version it is a good service for your customers -> An act of love towards your customers. Furthermore Qualcomm said that for the end of 2023 they will be ready to ship to OEM the new architecture of CPU that can challenge M2 and/or M3 soc. So this technology evolving.

You can also think that I'm just a nuisance and if I care about ARM I can use Shapr3D. But i.e. I don't love Shapr3D because it use a modeling approach like Solidworks and similar and I, as thousand of people, prefers software like MoI and Rhino. I think it's a great opportunity to carve out a new market share without losing any of your current users. If you decide to release a version for Windows ARM I will be happy to spend € 350 to get it.

Image Attachments:
proof.png  shapr.png 

22 Feb 2023   [#117] In reply to [#116]
Two questions:
1.) I am having an issue any time I edit a member of a group. Overall the ability to create named groups has massively cleaned up my workflow, however every time I select a visible object in a group that is otherwise mostly hidden (say a named solid or collection of solids) and edit this one item the entire group becomes visible once the edit has been made. Is there a way to prevent this?

As-is every time I make a change I have to wait for the entire group to display, then manually hide the entire group and show the item(s) I was working on. This means that practically I have to break any item that I want to edit out of the group before editing it and then re-group after edits are done.

2.) One of my biggest frustrations with MoI is with ortho snapping on curves that live at different Z depths. If I draw say an intersecting line and I am snapping to a curve or line at another Z height the line length will often be ever so slightly wrong (e.g. 10.0 might become 9.9999999). I assume this might be something to do with how intersections are being calculated and floating point error?

In any case, if I move everything to be coplanar prior to calculating intersections the issue goes away. It would be AMAZING if there was a "force coplanar curve intersection" for ortho snap, which could then change how ortho snaps are calculated by treating curves and lines as 2D objects on a single plane during intersection calculations to avoid these small errors.

Thanks again for the awesome new features in V5, I can't wait for the final release!
-FDP
22 Feb 2023   [#118] In reply to [#117]
Hi FDP,

re:
> however every time I select a visible object in a group that is otherwise mostly hidden (say a
> named solid or collection of solids) and edit this one item the entire group becomes visible
> once the edit has been made. Is there a way to prevent this?

There isn't any way to prevent this at the moment but it will be fixed in the next v5 beta release.

> 2.) One of my biggest frustrations with MoI is with ortho snapping on curves that live at
> different Z depths. If I draw say an intersecting line and I am snapping to a curve or line
> at another Z height the line length will often be ever so slightly wrong (e.g. 10.0 might
> become 9.9999999). I assume this might be something to do with how intersections are
> being calculated and floating point error?

It's hard to say what is causing this without being able to see an example of it.

Can you please post (or e-mail to me at moi@moi3d.com) a .3dm file with an example in it?

- Michael
24 Feb 2023   [#119] In reply to [#118]
Thanks Michael,

I will send you a file the next time I am able to get the snapping issue to replicate.
2 Mar 2023   [#120]
Hi Michael,

I hope you are doing well :-)

I think I faced something weird and I want to share it with you.

I visited "https://www.artstation.com/artwork/28ykJx" where Christian Schweger (Zarkow) shares a link: "https://onedrive.live.com/authkey=%21AK1TMYTX1cHJDWc&id=1C86BCB357547A01%212535&cid=1C86BCB357547A01&parId=root&parQt=sharedby&o=OneUp"
there you will find a zip file called "F_Concept" if you unzip this file you will find 3 files in it. I double clicked on the file called "F_Concept.stp" obviously MOI3D opens but when I hover mouse cursor over the 3dmodel I hear a noise! it is audible when cursor moves over the model if the cursor stays still there will be no sound! and the sound is like a very low buzzing sound! Could you check and see if you get the same results? (I suggest you to use earphones/head phone) and if yes then what could be the reason?

Best,
Psygorn(Drillbit)

Show messages:  1-20  …  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-120  121-140  141-145