MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Newbie Qustion Measurement

13 Sep 2021   [#1]
Hi All
I am a Brand new newbie
I have been watching you tube Videos, and amazed on the ease of this software,
What I am finding at the moment and I am sure its User error.
But how do you insert actual dimensions, Like if I wanted a plain box, 10x8x6, I can see how to draw and extrude but not how to fix the measurements.

Any Help welcome.

Ray
13 Sep 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Ray, welcome to the forum!

When you are in a command, there are options that appear in the upper right corner of the main window, here:

That's where you can enter in numeric values instead of picking with the mouse.

So to draw a 10x8x6 box like you're asking about, you would start the Draw solid > Box command and place the corner point. You can pick it with the mouse or you can type in an x,y,z value and push enter to use numeric values.

Then you'll see the prompt in the upper right area is asking you to pick the other corner and it has width and height fields. Type in 10 and your keystrokes will go into the "Width" field, then push the Tab key to go to the "Height" field and type in 8 and push enter. That will take you to the 3rd stage of the box command where you'll see the prompt change and there will be an "Extrusion" field showing. You can enter in the extrusion height, again either picking with the mouse or type in 6 and push Enter to give it a specific numeric value.

Other commands work in a similar way, for example when you draw a circle you first pick the center of the circle and then the next stage is you pick the radius value and there will be a "Radius" field that will show up in that command options area. Instead of picking with the mouse you can type in a radius value and push Enter.

Please let me know if this still isn't clear. In general take a look at that command options area to see what MoI is asking you to do next and to see different numeric fields and options that you can set.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
command_options_area.jpg 

14 Sep 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thank you for welcoming me and thank you for answering an easy answer, to one of my many questions.
Ray