MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: History confusion

2 Sep 2021   [#1]
Guys as a new user I've been caught out with the history function - in the context of mirroring.
The documentation seems a little light on this area - unless I've missed something. So, a few questions:

1. Exactly which tools are subject to history? Mirror, loft, lathe... any others?

2. How do I know if history is enabled on a selected object?

3. How do I disable it? Step by step please.

4. Can I disable it globally for a function such as mirroring?

Thanks for any enlightenment.
2 Sep 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Viewbyte,

re:
> 1. Exactly which tools are subject to history? Mirror, loft, lathe... any others?

The ones that have history updating on by default are Mirror, Loft, Revolve, Extrude, Sweep, Network, Blend, Intersect, Project, and PlanarSrf.

> 2. How do I know if history is enabled on a selected object?

There isn't any visual indicator other than that it will change when its inputs are modified.

At some point the history system will probably get completely ripped out and replaced by something that shows a list of actions.

> 3. How do I disable it? Step by step please.

Select the object, run the History command that is on the Edit pane of the side pane, and click the "Disable update" button that will show in the command options area in the upper right area of the main window.

> 4. Can I disable it globally for a function such as mirroring?

There isn't a setting for this currently, but you can modify the mirror command to do it. You'll need to edit the file Mirror.js inside the install's commands folder.

The end of the file looks like this:

code:
	if ( !GetPoint( pointpicker ) )
		return;

factory.commit();
}

DoMirror();

Add in this one line before the factory.commit() :

code:
	if ( !GetPoint( pointpicker ) )
		return;

factory.getCreatedObjects().setProperty( 'updateWithHistory', false );
	factory.commit();
}

DoMirror();

- Michael
2 Sep 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thanks Michael - excellent service as always!