MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Merging two or more faces

19 Aug 2021   [#1]
To connect two sections of a spline (edge), there is the M (merge) command.
Is there anything for combining 2 or more faces that are part of a solid?

To remove such partitions (which appear after Boolean operations), you have to rebuild the geometry almost manually, and this is very tedious. ((
Maybe I don’t know something? ;))

Image Attachments:
Screenshot_58.jpg  Screenshot_66.jpg 

19 Aug 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi krass, boolean union will merge faces under certain conditions - if they are both planes that are coplanar or if they both have the same "underlying surface".

So that probably would work on your second case you show but not the first case.

I do want to work on a merging function for the first case you show there but there is not currently anything set up for that.

For your second case instead of merging you could also "untrim" the larger surface to remove the hole:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=444.4
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=9671.5

- Michael
19 Aug 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
I understood, thank you very much for the answer and clarification of the situation.

That is, in the first case, the order of my actions is as follows:
- I delete two (highlighted in yellow) planes.
- with the M command I sew the edges so that they are continuous.
- I apply the Loft to them
- I combine all the planes into a solid.

So? Is this the simplest solution as I understand it?
19 Aug 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi krass,

re:
> So? Is this the simplest solution as I understand it?

Yes, that's correct. To avoid it from happening in the first place you would want to control the segmentation of your generator curves and have just one segment in the curve before constructing something off of it. You can combine segments by deleting the control point where they touch, by using the Rebuild command, or a tricky way is to export the joined segmented curve to SAT format and re-import it.

I do want to add some more types of merging control in the future, but one thing that has held this up a little is I also want to try and make just one Join command that can do both join and merge functions in it and I'm not sure yet how that will be formed.

- Michael
19 Aug 2021   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Thanks for the clarification!
I am sure that you will be able to implement everything brilliantly.
I can say that MOI3D is practically the best program for solid modeling.
The main thing is very intuitive and fast.