MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Idea for another product

18 Aug 2021   [#1]
Hello,

I'm a Fusion user, and use it exclusively for modeling hard surface assets.
I've tried Moi3D and while it was in some ways a breath of fresh air with a lot of things going faster, I can't get over the missing timeline function that I got so accustomed to in Fusion which lets me iterate on design ideas very quickly.
Oh and, fillets are less.. functional in some situations.
Anyway, great job.
One area Moi truly shines for me, while playing with the trial quite a long while ago, is its unique ability to mesh export with ngons, Not only is it pretty but most of the times is 90% of the work done for you, you just have to weld some vertices and repair a few things, and UV unwrap the thing to have a game ready asset.

So, Michael, how about you sell us just the exporter somehow. I, and a lot of others would definitely buy it, I'm sure, and I don't think there's a lot of work to be done on your side.
It would be sufficient to just have a small gui to open the STEP/IGES file, and the exporter settings window with maybe a preview window of the mesh.
If it's not too much to ask, please stop changing the names of the materials from the original file to LevelXX. The original (Fusion) names would be a lot more useful while managing them in blender post conversion.

Thanks!
18 Aug 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi dlbogdan, sorry I'm not really enthusiastic about making a conversion only version. It takes extra work to manage multiple product streams, I would rather focus on just one version instead.

Plus, the price of the regular version is already lower than most conversion utilities as it is.

re:
> If it's not too much to ask, please stop changing the names of the materials from the
> original file to LevelXX. The original (Fusion) names would be a lot more useful while
> managing them in blender post conversion.

Can you please send me an example file that has the layer names in it that you want to keep? I can take a look and see if it is possible to preserve those. You can e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com.

Thanks,

- Michael
18 Aug 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Fair enough Michael.
Being a solo dev myself, I completely understand your pov.
However, you might want to consider expanding your team, especially since Apple ditched x86, you'll probably need to split your code a bit for PCs and Macs going down the line. Rosetta will be eventually obsolete.

Anyway,

I'll buy MOI as it is, even if I'll use only the conversion part. I played yesterday with the new Moi 4 on my iPad + the pen, remotely with Moonlight (Nvidia Shield protocol) and it was quite usable. That is a very specific scenario when I'd actually use Moi instead of Fusion, on the go If I have a sudden Moment of Inspiration. Badam tssss. :)

As for your request, I'll give it a look and come back to you with a sample.

Question:
Any plans to improve the conversion to mesh even further?
19 Aug 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi dlbogdan,

re:
> However, you might want to consider expanding your team, especially since Apple ditched
> x86, you'll probably need to split your code a bit for PCs and Macs going down the line.
> Rosetta will be eventually obsolete.

Actually I've already finished the work for making a native M1 Mac build, you can see a previous discussion here:
https://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=10036.1

The current status is that I'm still waiting for a universal binary for the SketchUp SDK for exporting to .skp format. Everything else other than that is functional.

So anyway no expanding the team will not be needed for that.

> Question:
> Any plans to improve the conversion to mesh even further?

I have some ideas to work on in the future but no short term plans for that currently.

- Michael