MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Mac Version running unbelievably slow

17 May 2021   [#1]
Hi! Hope you can help. I've been testing out the V4 demo on an iMac Pro 2017 w/ 3 GHz Intel Xeon, 128 GB of ram and a Radeon Pro Vega 64 running Mojave, but MoI takes 1-3 seconds to process any mouse click (selecting an object, zooming/scrolling, etc...) let alone any more complex operation. I can't imagine that's typical on such a powerful system, so something must be slowing it down. Still happens regardless of what other apps I'm running or not, or a clean restart. Is there somewhere I should be increasing max CPU usage or something? As it stands doing anything is too slow to be usable. Great program otherwise.

Thanks!

Phil.
17 May 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Phil, hmmm that's an unusual situation that i have not heard of before.

Are you running some kind of anti-virus software or any other kinds of kernel extensions that might have a system-wide effect?

re:
> Is there somewhere I should be increasing max CPU usage or something?

Nope.

- Michael
17 May 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thanks so much for the reply, Michael. Yeah, I couldn't find anything else online about the Mac version slowing, so I have to assume it's my configuration. None of my other apps seem affected by whatever it is (zBrush, Rhino, Modo, Photoshop, Keyshot...) so I assumed it had to do with configuration. I do have Sophos antivirus, but I don't think it's constantly scanning or anything.

[time cut]

Just did some experimenting and it looks like the problem is the model. I have a pretty complex imported CAD model I'm working with (imported from .STEP,) but Rhino handles it just fine so I don't think it's out of the ordinary. All of those styles are hidden while I'm working in MoI though, and the part I'm modeling to add to it is currently pretty basic, only a couple dozen surfaces or so. Performance doesn't change whether the imported layers are visible or not I notice, so I'm guessing MoI is still processing them even when they're not visible? Is there a way to make MoI "ignore" the geometry when it's not visible?

Anyway, would appreciate your thoughts. I've exported my new parts to a separate file to work on independently for now, and of course it's smooth as silk, but it's not a sustainable workflow in the long term.

Thanks,
Phil.

17 May 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Phil, can you please send me the .3dm model file that doesn't perform well so I can take a look at it over here? My e-mail is moi@moi3d.com .

If it's large you may need to use a file sharing service and send a link instead of attach directly.

Thanks, - Michael
17 May 2021   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Thanks Michael, wish I could but it's my client's proprietary data. :(
17 May 2021   [#6] In reply to [#5]
If you can tell by size, it's a 1.5 GB .3dm.
17 May 2021   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Wacomonkey, do you have any dimension objects in the file?

- Michael
17 May 2021   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hmm. I did at one point use a linear dimension in Rhino (I've been going back and forth) but I don't see it now and all Annotations in MoI are greyed out.
17 May 2021   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Wacomonkey, sorry I don't have any other ideas on what might be going wrong. I can't really do an investigation on something that only repros with one specific file without being able to test with it over here.

- Michael
17 May 2021   [#10] In reply to [#9]
No worries, Michael. I'm truly impressed and grateful for how much time you've spent on my problem as it is! I'll fiddle around with it and see if I can track down what's happening, and post my results here.