MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Boolean Union

15 May 2021   [#1]
How can I boolean union the eight objects in the attached file? When I try doing it it creates weird results such as visual glitches and holes.

When I press 'n' no edges are highlighted which I thought meant that there are no problem edges?

Thanks, Andy

Attachments:
Test3.3dm

15 May 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Andy, when you're doing the flow to create your text you should position the text so it will punch some distance through the surface of the cylinder rather than just skimming right along the cylinder's surface.

Objects that have coincident surfaces where the surface areas skim over top of each other are much more difficult to boolean, the intersector will try to find an intersection between the 2 surfaces that are close to being coincident but have some very small differences between them.

You can sometimes use skimming surfaces ok if they are very exact like 2 planes exactly on the same plane.

- Michael
15 May 2021   [#3]
OK, thanks that is good to know. Andy
15 May 2021   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Andy,

Is that what you want?

Edit: Test3_Modified seems better.

I think you needed to sink your letters more inside of your cup so I made your cup slightly larger (0.1 larger in radius)

I also noticed your "i" is problematic! So I thickened your "i".

Select front & back faces of your "i" > Ctrl+C > Delete your "i" > Ctrl+V > Draw a line from center of your "i" toward center of your cup from top view > Move back faces of your "i" a little bit over previously made line toward Cup's center> Select edges of "i" faces (outer and inner) > Ctrl+C > Ctrl+V > Join them > use loft > Join all your "i" surfaces > you will have solid "i" (well there would be two solids) > Select all your solids > perform Boolean Union

Attachments:
Test3_Andy.3dm
Test3_Modified.3dm

16 May 2021   [#5]
Many thanks! Andy