MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: MOI viewport lag

12 May 2021   [#1]
Hello,

I've been experiencing lag with extrude and offset operations. Is the following normal?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/105m9bWPOa25QwzAvcrVL6looKpwGsHOn/view?usp=sharing

The video shows, when extruding, the interactive preview of extrusion stops after awhile and it will only refresh when I lift my stylus up from my tablet or leave my mouse standing still.
After that it remains interactive for awhile and the stylus/mouse needs to be still for it to refresh.
13 May 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi dodeqaa, for both extrude and offset MoI uses a mechanism where it does the calculation for these in a separate moi_commandprocessor.exe process and uses interprocess communication to send the result back to the main moi.exe process.

It uses this method so that complex cases can get interrupted when there is new input.

The lag on your machine indicates that there is some slowdown on your machine in regard to either the creation of a new moi_commandprocessor.exe process, or something like a virus checker might be inserting itself into the interprocess communication and slowing that down.

Do you have any type of realtime anti-virus or anti-malware type software running on your machine? If so try looking at its options and see if you can disable it for certain programs and disable it for moi.exe and moi_commandprocessor.exe and see if that helps.

- Michael
13 May 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hello Michael,

Thank you for your reply.

I have ESET NOD32 running on my system and I have added moi.exe and moi_commandprocessor.exe to the exclusion list of their real time scan.

The issue still persists though.

Is there any other way for me to check what is interfering with the creation of these processes?
13 May 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Here is my system information.

MOI v4 trial
Windows 10.0.19041
AMD 3970x 32 core
128gb ram
rtx 2070 x 2 with NVLink
13 May 2021   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi dodeqaa, you might try temporarily disabling the AV completely to see if behaves any differently. Maybe ESET still is doing some kind of processing on them.

- Michael
13 May 2021   [#6] In reply to [#4]
The trial version is actually more prone to problems in this area than the full version because the trial version is wrapped with an anti-hacking layer called Themida. It makes it harder for it the trial version limits to be removed by hackers but also has some performance penalty.

The full version doesn't have that on it.

- Michael
13 May 2021   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.

I have the trial running at work and its working fine. The PC at work is not using ESET antivirus though. It is using Sophos home.

That PC has the following specs:

Windows 10.0.19041
Intetl I7-7700K
64gb ram
1080TI x 2

Ill try disabling the antivirus like you say and let you know how that goes.
13 May 2021   [#8] In reply to [#7]
I've just tested it without the antivirus running and the behaviour persists.

Is there anything else I can do to confirm if this lag is because of the interaction between ESET and Themida?
Or does pausing ESET already exclude it?
13 May 2021   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi dodeqaa,

re:
> Is there anything else I can do to confirm if this lag is because of the interaction between ESET and Themida?
> Or does pausing ESET already exclude it?

Sorry I don't know. I would think that pausing ESET would rule it out but there have been problems in the past particularly with ESET where it decides that anything wrapped with Themida getting flagged as being a virus.

But maybe it doesn't have to do with ESET and it's just that the performance penalty from Themida itself is enough to cause this behavior on your one machine.

- Michael
13 May 2021   [#10] In reply to [#8]
Hi dodeqaa, if you send me an e-mail at moi@moi3d.com I can make an alternate type of trial version for you that has saving disabled instead of a number of days limit. That version will not have Themida on it and so it should have the same behavior as the full version for extrude and offset.

- Michael
14 May 2021   [#11] In reply to [#10]
I will do so. Thank you!
15 May 2021   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hello,

Just posting this for information's sake.

ESET NOD 32 antivirus suite will cause a lag with the 90 day trial version of MoI 3D even when Realtime Protection and HIPs are given exceptions. Turning off the antivirus will not work as well.

The trial version without save functionality does not suffer from lag. Probably because of the absence of the Themida anti hacking component.

Will continue evaluating and purchase when I'm done.

Thanks to Michael for all the help.