MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: How make this into a solid??

10 May 2021   [#1]
Hello all,

I'm working on this Star Trek secondary hull, highlighted in yellow. It started out as a solid - really - but somehow along the Boolean Highway it wound up as a shell. Its hollow inside. I would like to re-solidy it, to make it back into a solid. Is there a way to do this?

Many thanks,

Bob

Image Attachments:
Screenshot (48).png  Screenshot (50).png 

10 May 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Bob, can you please post the .3dm model file with the hull in it that you want to make into a solid again?

If you want to keep your file private you can e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com.

Thanks, - Michael
10 May 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thank you for your reply! Here she is. Honestly, I don't know what happened. It started out as a Revolve, which created the basic spindle hull. Then, successive Boolean operations removed the after cut out and the hangar bay area. Iso created hull lines which were then used to create radials and length wise boxes which were them Boolean Removed to create the panel lines. Somewhere along the process, it became a hollow surface. I can't figure out how that happened.

Bob

Attachments:
Endeavour Hull.3dm

10 May 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Do you want a global solid or give a thickness to the general "cylinder" ?
10 May 2021   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi Bob, here's a version that's a solid now. There were a few places where there were holes to fill in. There are a lot of little sort of "shelf" like areas where some cutting pieces didn't quite line up with each other exactly or something like that.

- Michael

Attachments:
Endeavour Hull2_3dm.zip

11 May 2021   [#6]
THANK YOU!!! How did you do that?

Bob
11 May 2021   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Bob,

re:
> THANK YOU!!! How did you do that?

First I used the script from here to highlight all "naked edges" - those are edges that are not joined between 2 surfaces:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6051.2

That shows the areas where there are holes that needed to be filled. Then I constructed surfaces to fill in the holes, using Construct > Planar and Construct > Network a couple of times in different places. After constructing a surface I used Edit > Join to glue it together with the main body, once you have filled in pieces so there are not any naked edges anymore that makes it a solid.

- Michael
12 May 2021   [#8]
So it was for the complete volume and not for thickness! :)