MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Loft/Swipe does not create solid out of curved text!

6 May 2021   [#1]
Hello guys,

I had created those Green and Red texts using flow command, now I want to create a solid out of them I had tried loft and Swipe both of these methods don't give me a solid mesh/object! They just create a shell, how can I fix this problem?

Check the letter "J" to get to know what I mean.

Note: I was able to create solid texts using loft method. However when I bend the created text using flow command the curved text looks mirrored! Also I want the red surfaces inward the curvature not outward!

Attachments:
Loft_Curved_Text.3dm
Loft_Curved_Text_Issue.3dm

6 May 2021   [#2]
Hi,

On your J,
- separate the Green J curve (not surfaces, only the curve)
- with a sweep with 2 lines (top horizontal and down horizontal) and 2 rails (inner and outer curves) you have the front surface.
Do the same thing with red J curve.

You have now your J solid after joining the surfaces.

Another possibility is to create Solid text and flow those solids next.

Have fun...
6 May 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Phiro,

I tried your method on "N" it did not gave me a solid! could you make a .GIF or something?

Also I attached the other possibility! (using solid texts in the beginning) this method also has some issues!
6 May 2021   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> I had created those Green and Red texts using flow command, now I want to create a solid
> out of them I had tried loft and Swipe both of these methods don't give me a solid mesh/object!
> They just create a shell, how can I fix this problem?

Loft only knows how to cap planar ends to make a solid in addition to making the "side walls". After using the Flow command your curves are not planar and so they aren't getting planar end caps put on them.

The easiest way to solve this is to make your text into solids before you do the flow and apply the flow to the solids instead of to curves like you have done here.

- Michael
6 May 2021   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> Note: I was able to create solid texts using loft method. However when I bend the created text using
> flow command the curved text looks mirrored! Also I want the red surfaces inward the curvature not outward!

This will happen if you are not careful to control where you are picking on each backbone curve.

The flow command will make the base curve start at the end you click closest to, and match it to start on the target curve at the end that you clicked closest to there as well.

So make sure you click on the base and target curves close to the ends you want to match to control it.

https://moi3d.com/4.0/docs/moi_command_reference8.htm#flow
quote:

For curve-to-curve mode, start by selecting the objects you want to deform, then run the Transform > Deform > Flow command, then click on the base curve followed by a click on the target curve. The ends closest to where you click on the base and target curves will be matched together to be used as the starting points for the deformation. Usually the base curve is a line running down the center of the straight shape and the target curve is a bendy curve.

- Michael
7 May 2021   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Ok, Tanx it worked :)