MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Step-import problem

5 May 2021   [#1]
Hello, I'm new to MoI and am using it to export files from Solidworks to Blender for rendering. I save the file as a step from SW, open it in MoI and then export as fbx (really like the awesome mesh output with n-gons btw!). It works nicely - but the tyre in this assembly isn't importing properly. What could be causing this? Same file opened in Solidworks on the left and in MoI on the right.

Image Attachments:
moi3dstep.jpg 

5 May 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Could we take a look at the .3dm file?
5 May 2021   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Mikko, it looks like there was a problem in processing the trimming boundary. One of the things that makes STEP import pretty complex is that different CAD programs use somewhat different methods for representing trimming boundaries. Because of that when MoI imports STEP files it needs to analyze the 3D edge curves and split them where they cross the seam of a closed surface. That's a pretty complex process and sometimes it can be a difficult calculation.

In your case there there was some problem with the seam splitting and so at least one surface has a malformed trimming boundary. I'd first probably just try deleting that face and then see if it is only a tiny spot on the actual model.

If you can post the STEP file (or e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com) so I can repeat the problem over here I might be able to give you some better information on it.

- Michael
6 May 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Thanks for the input Michael. I sent the step-file via email.