MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Fillet Merge

2 May 2021   [#1]
Hi,
Came across these video's and thought I would try to replicate them in Moi.
Rhino fillet problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyPaOuZg6-A
Fusion 360 | Fix Fillets (Surfacing) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t2Ast8rddw
The photo's shows the results
Another one to add to the toolbox.
Cheers
Barry

Image Attachments:
Screenshot (640).png  Screenshot (641).png 

2 May 2021   [#2]
Very tricky tips!
3 May 2021   [#3]
Thanks for that topic. Nice video and illustrations.

Do you know when in the end he does 2*networksrf instead of 2*sweep2 or 2*edgesrf. He would have more cleaner surface then with lower CP density I think.

I have to say that as MoI3d/Rhino user I have mess in my head because of that. There is so many ways to do it same thing and some command produce cleaner surfaces than the other. I`ve thought that networksrf is most dirty one and loft,sweep and edgesrf should be used if possible. NetworkSrf is good for making draft surfaces which will be deleted for a moment and made in other more clean way. Maybe I`m wrong cause as I said before I have a big problem which way use when.
3 May 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi mdesign,
<Do you know when in the end he does 2*networksrf instead of 2*sweep2 or 2*edgesrf. He would have more cleaner surface then with lower CP density I think.>
Sorry not a user of Rhino so can't say.
I only used some vertical iso curves to generate some intermediate blend curves for the network.
Cheers
Barry
3 May 2021   [#5] In reply to [#4]
This is same in MoI3d as in Rhino.

Please correct me if I`m wrong but sweep surfaces has cleaner surface with fewer contro points:

Network made in MoI:

Sweep made in MoI:

So sweep surfaces are easier to sculpt and change cause heavy networks may be used only as is.

What is superior of using Network over Sweep (with two rails and two profiles)?

Image Attachments:
network_srf.jpg  sweep.jpg 

3 May 2021   [#6]
Here you have also how Rhino does it. Sweeps are better in Rhino IMO because sweep product has less points than sweep from MoI. Network is similar on both.
Correct me If I`m wrong. Maybe I did something wrong in MoI and I have more CP after sweep because of that. I used same surfaces on both.

Sweep from Rhino:

EdgeSrf from Rhino:

NetworkSrf from Rhino:

Image Attachments:
edge_srf_Rhino.jpg  network_from_Rhino.jpg  sweep_from_Rhino.jpg 

3 May 2021   [#7] In reply to [#6]
In Moi
For the Network number of "crossed lines" depends of the nature of parameter : Normal, Lighter, Exact, Uniform !

Idem for the Sweep! Auto , Exact, Refit, #Points
3 May 2021   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Exactly as you said. And exact setting gived me same low effect as sweep and edgesrf in Rhino. So I was not right about high CP count in MoI Network surface. I`ve read that about Rhino that is should be omitted if possible.

... but why sweep2 in MoI has higher CP count than multiply CP of surrounding edges? Exact setting on sweep in MoI also should give similar effect to network exact. Isn`t it? Why one row is higher?

Network surface from MoI (exact setting):

Network surface from MoI (lighter setting):

Attachments:
test.3dm

Image Attachments:
network_MoI_Exact.jpg  network_MoI_Lighter.jpg 

3 May 2021   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi mdesign,

re:
> ... but why sweep2 in MoI has higher CP count than multiply CP of surrounding edges? Exact setting on
> sweep in MoI also should give similar effect to network exact. Isn`t it? Why one row is higher?

I'm not seeing any difference over here - the profile curves have 6 control points:

Sweep surface using those profile curves also has 6 control points in that direction:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
mdesign_sweep1.jpg  mdesign_sweep2.jpg 

3 May 2021   [#10] In reply to [#9]
But rail edges should have 4 vertical rows only and there is a lot more in your example. You have not visible control points over surfaces so it`s not visible that surface edges are 4 CP only.

I had it a bit different on my printscreens because I`ve set rails and profiles as inverted to your example but it is not changing anything in that example. Because in MoI profiles are always as low as the edge/curve count is and rail rows are much more dense. Why this happens?

Rhino sweep (6 horizontal rows * 4 vertical rows):

MoI sweep (only profile rows are ok and rail row are denser):

Is this intentional or is it a bug?

Image Attachments:
sweep_Moi.jpg  sweep_Rhino.jpg 

3 May 2021   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Hi mdesign, it's intentional - in MoI the result in the rails direction is going through an adaptive fitting process. In some limited special cases it could be possible to not do that if the conditions are just right. I think in Rhino there's some kind of "simple sweep" option for doing that. MoI does not have that function currently.

- Michael
3 May 2021   [#12] In reply to [#11]
That`s ok because in the other side Rhino has NetworkSrf with more dense mesh and there is no option to make it lower like in MoI.

It`s a quite funny because in Rhino I should omit NetworkSrf If I would like have lower mesh and in MoI I should use Network (exact) if I want lower mesh. Sweeps mirror that situation. Because in Rhino I will get lower sweep than in Moi :)

It`s a new info for me because I`ve thought I will have same effect on both and there is no difference where I will create sweep and where I will create network.

Thanks for answer.

Cheers

Edit: In attachment I showed networksrf in Rhino (very dense without any options)

Image Attachments:
networksrf.jpg