MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: MOI5 Wish list

Show messages:  1-13  14-33  34-49

5 May 2021   [#14]
I use a program by Matthias Wandel called BigPrint.

https://woodgears.ca/bigprint/

I use it to make patterns for my woodworking projects from graphics. A project is imported into BigPrint as a graphic for the print layout. From there, it can be resized and printed out to a printer with over laps. The pages are aligned and overlapped then taped together to make a large pattern.
5 May 2021   [#15] In reply to [#13]
Hi Michael,

re:
> If the overlap option in Acrobat Reader does what you need then that should be the easiest way and a plug-in to export multiple PDFs wouldn't be needed.

I made a couple of tests, overlapping from Acrobat is good enough so I prefer not to waste your precious time with a plug-in,

However, to make the process more paper efficient it would be good when exporting a selection to PDF, to have an option that automatically push the selections to the bottom left corner of the page, like some sort of local origin. Can this be implemented somehow?

Thanks.
Salvatore
6 May 2021   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Hi Salvatore,

re:
> However, to make the process more paper efficient it would be good when
> exporting a selection to PDF, to have an option that automatically push the
> selections to the bottom left corner of the page, like some sort of local origin.
> Can this be implemented somehow?

There is an option currently to center the output on the page. I don't understand why placing them in the bottom left corner of the page instead of centering would be more paper efficient, can you describe that a little more?

- Michael
7 May 2021   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Hi Michael,

Well, I was thinking, if I have 30 pieces that are all 200-250mm high and vary slightly in length, from let's say 500mm to 800mm. I can select each of them, set a custom paper like 297x 810 and be sure they will all fit in that kind of sheet. If I centre the output, it will be ok for the height since there is no so much difference but I would prefer to see the output pushed to the left so that I can avoid printing the part left white... So actually in that example the best would be more centre-left rather than bottom-left... Does it makes sense to you?

Salvatore
7 May 2021   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Hi Salvatore,

re:
> So actually in that example the best would be more centre-left rather than
> bottom-left... Does it makes sense to you?

For that case I would recommend turning off "Center on page", that will make MoI use 0,0,0 as the page origin and you can move your objects to position them where you want to control where they will be printed at.

You can draw a rectangle starting at 0,0 and with your page width and height if you want a visual guide to see what area in model space is going to map to the output page.

- Michael
16 May 2021   [#19]
Hi All,
I would definitely welcome feature that would allow me to see cut object.

Meaning If I have a object, I would insert a plane and would be able to view from that plane so I know what is inside and how it looks if I cut along that plane.

Now I have to hide faces to get something similar.

This is very useful for multiple objects that have to fit together.

Illustration on picture.

Thanks a lot.
Juraj

Image Attachments:
plane.png 

8 Jun 2021   [#20]
Hello Michael,

I know that it's been discussed, well, so...
Just wondering, might a file system preview (thumbnail) be plausible for V5?

Big fan; Love your work,
MindSet
8 Jun 2021   [#21] In reply to [#20]
Hi MindSet,

re:
> Just wondering, might a file system preview (thumbnail) be plausible for V5?

There's a decent possibility for that. The main pieces to make it work are implementing system plugins for Windows and Mac file managers.

- Michael
23 Sep 2021   [#22]
Maybe? ....

Have a "Like Button" for discussion posts.

TNX
MindSet
25 Sep 2021   [#23]
Hi Michael,

I don't know if this request has been already done.
Is it possible to have the number of points of a curve in the curve properties of the Object properties when you show the details.

It is possible to have this informations with a sequence : - Show Points - Selection of the points of the curves - Details
But perhaps could you add this information in details of the Curve object.

Thanks
25 Sep 2021   [#24] In reply to [#19]
Regarding the print out questions:

There is so much software out there for printing, why turn MOI into a version of PrintShop?

Try this search on google: poster printing software, PrintShop, printing programs, etc...

That should do it.
29 Sep 2021   [#25]
Selection priority setting would be welcome or a pop-up asking which object should be selected (aka Rhino).

Quite often after creating the object from curves I want to do some operations using edges. And as I have curves in the same area I have to hide curves first. This quickly gets annoying.
In Rhino we get a little pop-up when there are multiple objects in the same place so the user can pick the desired one. That, or some setting which would allow you to define priority (for example edges over curves) would be great.
29 Sep 2021   [#26] In reply to [#25]
Hi Przemas, it was actually a high priority during Moi's initial design phase to not have the object selection popup that I set up in Rhino, because it is so distracting popping up in your face all the time.

Moi does basically the opposite of that by showing you selection feedback while you are moving your mouse around so you can see what is going to be selected when you click. But the main area where this falls short is when there are curves right over top of edges like you mention. I would like to figure out some kind of pop up for this particular situation but I have not been able to come up with a good design for it as of yet.

- Michael
29 Sep 2021   [#27]
SVG format ? For this fun free Snap online from Berkeley! https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap
Works like a charm but here i must convert it! :)
(ps Jens Mönig is the creator of Snap)

2 Oct 2021   [#28] In reply to [#26]
@Michael: For me a simple setting where you would be able to set a selection priority would suffice. As you already noticed it becomes a hassle only in a certain type of scenarios, for example when extruding.
2 Oct 2021   [#29]
Image size adjustment with values

Hi Michael, would it be possible to include resizing for background images based on values to be entered (see example photo)? Scaling with the mouse is too inaccurate.
-moritz

Image Attachments:
PictureScale.png 

3 Oct 2021   [#30] In reply to [#29]
Hi moritz,

re:
> Hi Michael, would it be possible to include resizing for background images based on values to
> be entered (see example photo)? Scaling with the mouse is too inaccurate.

Please try updating the ImagePropertiesDialog.htm file (in the ui subfolder in the install) with the new version attached here. That should then give width and height controls on the image properties dialog:

- Michael

Attachments:
ImagePropertiesDialog.htm

Image Attachments:
image_width_height1.jpg  image_width_height2.jpg 

3 Oct 2021   [#31]
Yes, that's ist quite usefull! Thanks Michael and Moritz.
3 Oct 2021   [#32] In reply to [#30]
Hello Michael, this file helped. As always, fast and competent "customer service". Many thanks for this.
-moritz
3 Oct 2021   [#33]
Not sure is this is a discussion I can add topic for more feature but here's my wish list entry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0A0poACpfw
bevel/fillet feature like this video would be awesome for v5
watch from minute 16 on the video for the capability I mentioned.

Show messages:  1-13  14-33  34-49