MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Newb: help with Arm and belly contours for solid body guitars

Show messages:  1-18  19-38  39-58  59-78  79-98  99

15 Apr 2019   [#59] In reply to [#57]
Hi Neil,
your model will fillet at .25/.30 if you do the fillets before you Boolean the neck pocket.
The neck pocket as it is causes a slight sliver so by slightly moving or adjusting width will improve it.
Barry

Image Attachments:
Screenshot (339).png 

15 Apr 2019   [#60] In reply to [#59]
Why can't I do that? Hmm. Well you always save the day Barry - thanks! Can you help with this body as well? I'm having the same problem with it. I can' get the fillet anymore than .1" before or after the pockets and contours.

Attachments:
Greghowlongerbodywithneck.rar

16 Apr 2019   [#61] In reply to [#60]
Hi Neil,
Just tried your last post and it fillets 0.2 on the top any bigger and it runs into a pocket.
Did exactly the same as my previous post separated the solid, untrimmed the top and side to remove neck pocket.
Re trimmed side with belly cut out and joined to form a solid, applied fillets top and bottom and to finish Boolean the neck pocket.
Hope this helps.
Barry
Ps: your body profile right side neck curve isn't smooth?
16 Apr 2019   [#62] In reply to [#61]
Thanks Barry! - hmm that must be a previous version thought I smoothed that curve out - thanks for pointing it out and for the help - much appreciated! Will be making that arch top very soon - thank you again for your help with that.
26 Apr 2019   [#63]
Here is the last body Barry helped me with after milling . . . vert happy with the contours. Hard to see the arm contour in this shot but it's perfect. I too am looking forward to version 4 with dimensioning.
27 Apr 2019   [#64] In reply to [#63]
Amazing JOB!!!

Congrats!! Amazing job.
27 Apr 2019   [#65] In reply to [#63]
I think you are in now....... Nice job!
1 May 2019   [#66] In reply to [#65]
Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!
21 May 2019   [#67] In reply to [#66]
Finished guitar - teak oil finish - neck and body done in MOI3D

Image Attachments:
GHfinished3.JPG 

21 May 2019   [#68] In reply to [#67]
beautiful. congrats. glad to see you have got the hang of moi
21 May 2019   [#69] In reply to [#67]
Nice job. I have several acoustic guitars but never did buy an electric. How much do those sell for?
21 May 2019   [#70] In reply to [#69]
The prices differ with features - this one is going for 1,200.00 - features: rock maple neck with dual action truss rod, 24 fret 16" radius birch fingerboard, select alder body, hand wound Tone Garden neck and middle pickups with Kent Armstrong hand wound bridge pickup, Hipshot products contour tremolo, Hipshot locking tuning keys, master volume and tone. push/pull volume expander switch (allowing neck and bridge and all three pickups options), tone pot push/pull coil splitter switch for bridge pickup. Five position pickup selector. Teak oil finish. Dunlop 6100 frets to 12th fret and then 6105 13-24.
21 May 2019   [#71] In reply to [#67]
Amazing job!!!

Amazing :)
21 May 2019   [#72] In reply to [#67]
Hi Neil, it turned out awesome thanks for sharing the photos with us!

- Michael
22 May 2019   [#73] In reply to [#72]
Excellent job! I have looked at all photos in thread again and it can be nicely seen two things, firstly product evolution and secondly advanced and friendly forum community.

Thanks.
Mik
22 May 2019   [#74] In reply to [#73]
Thanks for the kind words - many thanks to the patient and helpful forum members who helped me learn to model these guitars entirely in MOI3D. Barry is trying to teach me how to do an arch top but I'm still not getting the hang of it . . . here are a few more guitars (necks and bodies) modeled in MoI - the program along with my CNC machine have become a life savers as they help save time and money in they shop - they also do things way better than I could by hand. Turning out a lot more guitars which was a problem before.

Image Attachments:
Ione 104.jpg  Ione101.jpg  Ione103.jpg  IOne104b.jpg  Stardustguitars99.jpg 

22 May 2019   [#75] In reply to [#74]
GORGEOUS!!!

Craftsmanship to the max :)
11 Jun 2019   [#76] In reply to [#59]
Here is this one finished (Greg Howe playing it). Thanks for all the help Barry! Satin poly honeyburst finish. This is a three piece body with Honduras mahogany in the middle and alder wings.

Image Attachments:
GregHowehoneyburstsportsmodelcompressed.JPG 

11 Jun 2019   [#77]
Decontracted virtuosity! ;)

11 Jun 2019   [#78] In reply to [#76]
Looks beautiful!

- Michael

Show messages:  1-18  19-38  39-58  59-78  79-98  99