Full Version: Delorean Alpha 5 (car modeling) in Moi3D

Show messages: All  1-20

21 Jun 2022   [#1]
Hope you like it:

more on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/christianschweger/
21 Jun 2022   [#2]
Cool new traveler time car!

about some generic technical process (by Zarkow of course ;)

29 Jun 2022   [#3]
https://www.instagram.com/p/CfY1WRAqVgi/

29 Jun 2022   [#4]
A beauty one!
29 Jun 2022   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Excellent model and render zarkow !

Ed Ferguson
30 Jun 2022   [#6]
Awesome model.

Any tutorials on modeling this car? hopefully video with audio narration.

I am having a very difficult time trying to find MO3D car modeling tutorials as most do not have audio narration, instead have text dialogue which I find too difficult to follow as one eye is trying to read the text and the other trying to follow the mouse flow in MOI3D. Perhaps it's an age thing. I am in my late 60s and my eyes are not what they used to me.

A beautiful car for sure.
30 Jun 2022   [#7]
Amazing work! Congrats.
30 Jun 2022   [#8] In reply to [#6]
This is my Youtube channel, I had made some Car modeling Tutorials for moi3d, but without audio.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kuechmeister/videos

The problem is Moi3d is not really a surface modeling tool for automotive.

My Tutorial should show that car modeling is possible in Moi3d, but it's not optimal and it's realy hard.

Sometimes I feel I one of maybe 5-10 people who try to use moi3d as a automotive modeling tool.

I hoped some programmers like Max, designs a script for "4 sides network patchtool" with G1 or G2 blend, maybe based on something like the sub-d tools by Max, but I not a programmer and I can't see how hard this is to solude this.
1 Jul 2022   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Zarkow,

re:
> I hoped some programmers like Max, designs a script for "4 sides network patchtool" with G1 or G2 blend

Filling things in "patch by patch" with direct interpolation of wires is just not a great overall strategy, it's too easy to be over constrained at corner areas. It's an area of NURBS modeling that has a high learning curve and is generally difficult even for experienced people.

Sub-d modeling is by far a less finicky method for making a complex freeform shape that is smooth all over.

- Michael
1 Jul 2022   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hello Michael,

Sometimes I wish, I could fix or autosnap or link some particluar surface point "Iso points" on a kind of "Controlspline" and control those surfaces about 1 or 2 points

maybe it's a bad idea, but I think it could be good for complex surfaces.

and I can add that this surface iso points with "Add pt" but why I can't delete a iso point line?
1 Jul 2022   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Hi Zarkow,

re:
> maybe it's a bad idea, but I think it could be good for complex surfaces.

It's not necessarily a bad idea, but it's an overall area (complex surface sculpting by control points manipulation) that MoI is not focused on because it's an advanced area of modeling that has a high learning curve.

> and I can add that this surface iso points with "Add pt" but why I can't delete a iso point line?

That's because you can only mainpulate NURBS surface control points by adding or removing a full column or row of points, not just any individual points and there are not tools in MoI for targeting rows or columns of points. Again because that's part of a complex higher learning curve modeling strategy that is not currently a focus area for MoI.

You would generally be better off doing these types of things in sub-d modeling program rather than in MoI. Those programs are focused entirely around this strategy of manipulating control point cages while MoI is not.

- Michael
1 Jul 2022   [#12] In reply to [#11]
However a few car modelers who are also car designers have recommended NURBS over sub-d as they claim that is what is used in the field. And a NURBS based STL model is much preferred over a sub-d produced OBJ in manufacturing.
1 Jul 2022   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Hi Kenmo,

re:
> However a few car modelers who are also car designers have recommended NURBS over
> sub-d as they claim that is what is used in the field.

Yes it's true that NURBS are used by actual car manufacturers. But those are people who have 10+ years of experience climbing the difficult learning curve for a specialized area of modeling.

For most people it's not practical to take that approach, they need something that doesn't take 10 years to learn how to use.

- Michael
2 Jul 2022   [#14] In reply to [#11]
Sometimes Point editing makes Moi3d to Magic Power tool:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXgsmTiKUL3/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
2 Jul 2022   [#15]
Some neu Renders in Green Car Paint

2 Jul 2022   [#16] In reply to [#15]
I looked at the press release photos of the Delorean. A stunning car by Italdesign. You did a fantastic job of modeling and rendering this beauty.

Ed Ferguson
2 Jul 2022   [#17] In reply to [#15]
Impressive work. Many thanks for posting and sharing.
5 Jul 2022   [#18]
Step Breakdown

22 Apr 2023   [#19] In reply to [#18]
I find it quite frustrating that there are very few car modeling video tutorials for MOI3D. Yet we see what can be accomplished when in the hands of a very talented modeler like Kuechmeister Swagger. However I am quite perplexed why there is never any audio. I find it rather difficult to have one eye on the screen watching the modeling process and my other eye trying to read the text. Adding an audio track would make the process so much easier to follow and understand.

Cheers and all the very best.
22 Apr 2023   [#20]
Wow!

People are able to do amazing things with MOI3D!

It's always a joy to see it.

Tom

Show messages: All  1-20