MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V5 Wish List

Show messages:  1-6  …  467-486  487-506  507-526  527-543

16 Jun 2023   [#527] In reply to [#526]
Hi MindSet,

What about checking the box under View that says "Display hidden lines"? That basically makes everything translucent like in the attached image.

If you're placing a shape that doesn't have many edges, like a sphere, you can select that shape and do Construct > Curve > Silhou to see its silhouette.

- Peer

Image Attachments:
hidden_lines.png 

16 Jun 2023   [#528] In reply to [#527]
Yo Peer,

Yep, that does seem to work in most instances and is sufficient in the current case.
Thanks!! You helped make this an even better day for me.

This community is as wonderful as the software itself.
I am very appreciative on both counts.
- MindSet
7 Mar   [#529]
I'd go in for a camera snap to ?ortho axis? in the 3D viewport when orbiting by holding down shiift, I find this a huge benefit/workflow enhancement in ZBrush.

Cheers

// Rich
24 May   [#530]
Has anyone ever broached a 'drag to cursor position' ala SketchUp? I noted MoI has implemented a drag along primary axis using the shift key, but a great strength of that feature in something like SkUp is that you can drag along and snap to a relative vertex or point, I've found it a big time saver to align things!

// Rich
24 May   [#531] In reply to [#530]
IF you use Helper Lines you can follow anything along a line A (x,y,z) B (x,y,z) with space gap (or not) with any snap , existing or not ! ;)

Click without release...release
Before the first click of a function, after the first click of a function before the last click of a function
Disapear after the last click of a function
One of the true gem of MOI! ;)
(and there is more when you click the little white label 1 second after the release click not shown on the video)

Message 10114.532 was deleted

24 May   [#533]
Hey Frenchy yes I get all that, this was what I was referring to - maybe there is a quick way to do it via that way but...

// Rich

Image Attachments:
moi_grab_01.jpg 

24 May   [#534] In reply to [#533]
Hi Rich, is "Distance C" that you show there a distance you want to type in?

- Michael
26 May   [#535]
No, I guess the best way to describe it is as you have shift held down and are dragging up and down an axis you can hover over another distant point and the co-ordinate of that point is read into the inference system and will 'lock' to it, so now the two points will have the same value along that axis. 'A' is clicked, 'B' is hovered over and now 'A' inherits 'B's value along that axis (and are now aligned in the axis being dragged along.) 'C' would be the distance in which the geo jumps and is now aligned, it's just a great feature in SkUp IMHO which allows you to align anything really in the perspective view.

// Rich
26 May   [#536] In reply to [#533]
Hi Rich,

Is this the kind of thing you're talking about? I'm using Transform > Move, dragging out a construction line, and then snapping to the intersection point on the cline.

- Peer

Image Attachments:
move.gif 

26 May   [#537] In reply to [#535]
Hi Rich, so if I understand you correctly you can get the result you're looking for in Moi using the "Construction lines" function.

There's a bunch of info on it here:
https://moi3d.com/4.0/docs/moi_command_reference11.htm#constructionlines

You activate a construction line by holding the mouse button down over a point and keeping the button pressed and dragging, instead of just a press and release.

When you make a construction line a little arrow tag will appear and if you click and hold down on it a menu will pop up with some additional controls, one of which is to project the next point onto the construction line which will do the type of thing that you're describing.

So for example here I'm going to place the first point of a line at the corner of a rectangle but at the same height as some other geometry:

Instead of clicking on the point, keep the mouse button held down and drag away from it, that will make a construction line there:

After dragging some distance away and releasing the button, a little tag will appear:

Press and hold on the tag and you'll get this menu:

Choose "Project next pt" and then you can snap to some other point and inherit its height like you want:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
rich_cline1.jpg  rich_cline2.jpg  rich_cline3.jpg  rich_cline4.jpg  rich_cline5.jpg  rich_cline6.jpg 

27 May   [#538]
Michael - thanks for that it's what I ws looking for, will get the hang of it...I guess the workflow efficiency of the SkUp command is once Shift is held down it manges the 'Project next pt' automatically, might be a drawback in the larger MoI scheme of things but definitely a time saver.

Cheers for the tip!

// Rich
27 May   [#539] In reply to [#538]
Hi Rich,

re:
> I guess the workflow efficiency of the SkUp command is once Shift is held down it manges
> the 'Project next pt' automatically, might be a drawback in the larger MoI scheme of things
> but definitely a time saver.

Workflow efficiency isn't necessarily of much value if it's on something that is not used very frequently.

What MoI's method loses in efficiency it gains in flexibility because a construction line is formed between 2 distinct points, the one where you begin the drag and the one where you release it. So you can form them between any 2 points and not only in an axis direction like SketchUp's hover method is limited to:

That's why MoI's construction lines have so much functionality like quickly get the midpoint between any 2 points, reflected ends, divisions between 2 points, capture and reapply distance. Those things aren't possible to get with SketchUp's snapping system.

If you want to increase efficiency, it is possible to set up a keyboard shortcut that will trigger "Project next pt" instead of bringing up the menu. To do that put this on to a shortcut key:
script: /* Project to construction line */ moi.drawingAids.constructionLineProject();

So then the process is: Drag out construction line, press shortcut key, pick reference point.

Another related kind of shortcut you can set up is one to turn on a "direction lock" for the 2nd pick of a line to lock it onto the current straight snap direction:

script: /* Direction lock */ var pp = moi.ui.getActivePointPicker(); if ( pp && pp.hasStraightSnap ) { pp.restrictToLinePtDir( pp.basePt, pp.straightSnapDir, true ); }

- Michael

Image Attachments:
cline_2points.png 

28 May   [#540]
Cheers Micheal I'll implement this shotcut!

// Rich
28 May   [#541] In reply to [#539]
Hi Michael. Thanks for the scripts.
One question:
Is there any script to make a construction line that inherits the direction and length of the picked curve or edge?
I often use this method manually: make a c-line on an existing curve or edge and relocate it to the point I wanted.
28 May   [#542] In reply to [#541]
Hi Mo, a script can create a construction line by:

var cline = moi.geometryDatabase.addConstructionLine( startpt, endpt, true /* Is Temporary */ );

but there isn't any way for one created in this way to get set as the active construction line so that the repositioning method will target it. I'll add in a method so that this can work though.

- Michael
28 May   [#543] In reply to [#542]

Show messages:  1-6  …  467-486  487-506  507-526  527-543