Feature request for Fillet...

5803.7 In reply to 5803.6 
Hi Tom,

> As for where to place the feedback: Right there where it says "Calculating..." I'd say.
> If it works, the field closes as it does now. If not, it stays open and shows something as
> helpful as possible or a simple "Filleting failed".

What about if it said a more generic "Calculation failed", that would help a lot with allowing it to be used in all commands without a whole bunch of additional translated text to be added.

> I also wonder if the "Done" button would be better named "Apply" and only being available
> if the operation succeeds? That could be an additional hint that the current settings didn't
> work out if that's the case. And if it doesn't work, "Done" does the same as "Cancel",
> doesn't it?

This could be kind of strange, the current operation is canceled and restarted whenever any parameter is changed, and with a changed parameter what was previously a failure can now be a success, would that then involve switching that one button continuously back and forth between "Apply" and "Done"? I think that would be kind of generally weird.

"Done" basically just means that you want to end the current command stage and that you want to accept the current result, (or the one that will be generated next if it is still busy calculating when you push it).

> - fillet roundings extending outside of the object.

This usually means the fillet surfaces had some problem getting trimmed with one another, it can happen more often in areas where there is some tiny sized edge which then makes a tiny fillet surface which does not very cleanly intersect with other things, or also if you have boundaries that come close to being tangent to one another but are actually at some shallow 5 or 10 degree corner to each other, nearly tangent surfaces are also difficult to intersect with each other, they have a kind of overlapping region rather than a crisp intersection.

> - certain patches of the object vanishing completely or showing in a broken manner (like broken triangles in a polygon modeller).

That means that the trim boundaries are damaged in some way, like with a self intersecting loop in them somewhere.

> - fillets that exist at the same time as the original corner (there is a fillet patch below the original corner that somehow wasn't removed.

That usually means there was an error in trimming the main object body, but that fillets were able to be generated. I have modified the geometry library to return back the fillets in case of these kinds of errors rather than just do nothing at all since you can then potentially do some manual trimming to still get the fillets into place.

> - More rarely the whole object vanishes.

The result is probably pretty severely mangled in this case.

- Michael