Need help

5749.4 In reply to 5749.1 
Hi Ram - MoI is currently focused only on generating 3D model data, not 2D blueprint type output.

But these days it should work pretty well for you to be able to transfer your 3D model to the CNC machine shop and actually having the full 3D model of the design really is less ambiguous in many ways than blueprints anyway.

MoI can export to several different 3D model formats that are often used for 3D milling, like STL, IGES, and STEP file formats, it would be a little surprising if your machine shop was not able to take in 3D model data directly, and most likely they would actually prefer that rather than only 2D drawings. I would recommend asking them about that specifically though.

If you do need to generate 2D printed data, you would need to use another program in combination with MoI and import your 3D model into the other CAD program for generating drawings. Alibre which you mention can work well for that, or also another inexpensive program to do that is ViaCAD 2D.

But definitely check with your machine shop first, don't assume that they really want dimensioned 2D drawings, it's actually much more likely that if a 3D model exists that it would work a whole lot better for you to send them just the 3D model data directly and not do any 2D drawings yourself at all. Once they have the 3D model themselves it's far more flexible, they can do a whole lot of things to that model data including even generating their own 2D dimensioned drawings if they want to at that point.

> also can I have these files imported as DXF or DWG format?

Not currently in MoI version 2.0, since these are primarily 2D drawing oriented formats, while MOI is primarily focused on 3D model generation and not 2D drawing generation. I have added DXF import and export into MoI v3 though.

> please take a look at this software called ALibre can I do the same thing with MoI
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Ion61SDo4

You can do something similar with generating a DXF file to go into VCarvePro with MoI v3 which is not quite finished up yet, it's still in beta release with the beta available to existing customers.

But sending 2D drawing data to VCarvePro is a little different than making dimensioned drawings.

- Michael