pinch to zoom and such

5671.2 In reply to 5671.1 
Hi Isaiah, you are talking about Windows here, right?

> I noticed that pinch zoom works in the viewports of both V2
> and Beta V3 using a multitouch screen..

My guess is that it's probably sending a scroll wheel message. Right now there is not any parameter set up to adjust the speed at which MoI zooms in response to a mouse scroll wheel.

I do have multitouch view navigation set up for the next beta but currently only for the Mac, which seems to have more general support for it like every laptop supports it on the trackpad.

I'd like to add it in for Windows too but I have not yet been able to find any way for me to test it without getting a new touch screen monitor. I was hoping to be able to just get a little external trackpad and work with that, and I got a new Logitech one but it does not generate any WM_TOUCH messages, as far as I could tell the trackpad driver only sends things like scroll wheel messages and does not generate any direct multi-touch information to applications.

Let me know if you are aware of any kind of multi-touch trackpad device that I could get to test setting up multi-touch view manipulation on Windows 7, I looked around for a while and was not able to find anything.

The way the next beta will work for the Mac is pinching does zoom-in/zoom-out, two fingers moving does panning and 3 fingers moving does rotation. I don't think it's possible to do 1-finger rotation because 1 finger movement will already be used for moving the mouse cursor. That's one thing that's a little different on a desktop system versus iPad where there does not exist that concept of a mouse cursor.

Anyway I would like to set up multi-touch view navigation for Windows too but I was hoping to just buy some little device to test it instead of an entire big monitor or a brand new laptop machine.

- Michael