Majik Tutorial: The Turbine-Style Sports Rim

(long day...)

Thanks guys!!!
Can you see how I tried to use most of the new Version 3 features? ;-)

I really don't know how I managed to conjure up the idea of twirling an augmented NURBS surface, but I did have the general idea for the spiral-shaped rim in mind for a while. And up until the other day, I wasn't really sure how one could be made without a lot of surface editing with networks and sweeps.

The styling I came up with here for this rim has a really bubbly/swirly look. I took a look online of some nice rims out there and I have to tell you - the design detail that goes into some of them are a kin to designing jewelry, but on a larger scale. And then there is the structural and functional engineering!

> nice use of the "vortex" style radial flow!

Hi Michael - I think that the "whirlpoolizer" tool would be a wonderful addition to the Twist tool dialog. ...an extra button or check-box on the Twist dialog window.
I know they are different animals, but that might be a logical place to add it. More as a related option-switch to Twist - so it doesn't have to become a new dedicated tool.

> ..the tyre sent me racing back to my childhood and Meccano® kits.

They were called "Erector Sets" here. I had a few sets myself. The tire also reminds me of the many of the Lego varieties. They were coveted items among me and my brothers' Lego collections.

> BTW - If you post the obj I'll render a quick animation for you. Ed

Ed, I'd be very gracious to see a nice render of the model. Thanks! An animation? WOW!

I posted the .3dm file and some really poly-heavy .obj files in a .zip file placed on MediaFire...
But new .obj's could be made from the provided .3dm's if lower poly levels were needed.

If any of you are interested in rendering or just taking a close look at the model - download this zip file here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zpiuf7tv17me8ah/turbine-sports-rim-out.zip

EDITED: 23 Jun 2017 by MAJIKMIKE