New overview / intro to MoI PDF by Fabien Franzen

Thanks for the introduction, Michael! Perhaps I should introduce myself some more here.

I'm a designer living and working in Belgium. I've been using MoI since 2008 for almost all my design work, from exploration to final models suitable for prototyping and CNC machining. Since then it has been my favorite tool in my toolbox of 2D and 3D applications that I've come across in the last 15 years or so. It seems to fit my workflow perfectly, and I rarely use other modeling tools nowadays. I even find myself doing 2D vector drawing in it from time to time when Illustrator just doesn't cut it.

One of the more notable 3D modeling (and NURBS/hybrid) apps for me was Amapi, which I've also enjoyed using from version 2 all the way to 7.5. In between I've used numerous packages (anyone remember RayDream? Pixels 3D?), some of which share the same fate that Amapi faced, unfortunately. Somehow I felt right at home in MoI - I guess it shows that carefully rethinking the UI from the ground up can turn out really well after all. Tools and palettes should get out of the way as much as possible, and to this regard I think there's some similarities between MoI and Amapi's original (sometimes called quirky) UI concepts.

As a longtime Mac user, my options in 3D modeling applications have traditionally been somewhat more limited. I think it's a major deal that MoI is available on my platform of choice now - and like the Mac, one of the best and definitely most approachable all around :-) I haven't touched Parallels ever since!

Anyway, here are two blogposts covering some of the MoI-centered workshops I did:

http://i.materialise.com/blog/entry/jewelry-design-workshop-too-many-applicants-great-fun-wonderful-results

http://i.materialise.com/blog/entry/a-creative-journey-by-the-students-of-sint-lukas-antwerp

Both courses had an emphasis on 3D printing, and all of the participants' models were printed at the end of the course - making it a very rewarding experience for all. It was a great opportunity to see MoI's potential in the hands of novice users. None of the participants had any previous 3D software knowledge, yet were able to achieve impressive results - with a little bit of help - in a matter of (2 to 3 subsequent) days. The fact that each of them were able to express their own individual ideas and 'design signature' says a lot, I think.

If time allows I will try to be a bit more active on the forum, but meanwhile I thought it might be helpful to release the PDF documentation I designed. It's an overview of the most relevant tools and techniques, to help new users quickly identify how they relate to what they're trying to create. Or how to translate traditional prototyping and sketching skills into digital models - and vice versa. I believe both are still relevant, even in the 3D-printing era we seem to be living in; I really like how the real-world wireframe models contrast with the MoI screenshots hanging on the wall (Antwerp blogpost) … it's a perfect synergy I think.

/ Fabien

EDITED: 24 May 2012 by FABIENF