Help with Drilling Holes in an Object

5130.20 In reply to 5130.12 
Hi YHWH_777, how about this version here (model attached as hole_pattern_model.3dm) :

This was made generally in the same way as Bemfarmer's example above with a couple of slight differences.

But the starting row is the same with an array along a joined curve like this:

Then pick the bottom one and array it and decide how many copies you want, I used 12:

Then to get the staggering layout, select every other one and rotate it by a half increment. To do that run the Transform > Rotate command, pick the point for the center of rotation and then for the rotation angle type in 360/24 to rotate it by one-half of an array step around:

Now use Transform > Array > Circular again on all of these again with a 12 item count:

Now when you get to the top you have to use a smaller item count for those ones up there since as I described previously there is not as much physical surface area in those spots. If you were to just use a 12 count array up there the pieces would collide into one another.

I used 12 items for the very first ring though where it still has plenty of area, then for the next one up from that only 10 items (this one should be staggered by a rotation of 360/20 instead), and then only 5 items for the last ring.

If you don't like the spacing between items that those counts happen to produce, you may need to just manually place your cylinders to a particular spot where you like the spacing.

Hope this helps!

- Michael