Quicker meshing preview?

One of the things that I'm seeing myself doing constantly while modeling is checking how the mesh will look like when converting it to polygons (sometimes doing the same thing in a different way generates a better mesh, and it's good to catch that sooner rather than later). For that I have to do the process of saving a file (go to export, choose a location, choose a file name...) and then I get to the panel I want and a preview of the meshing. It's not a big deal until you do it as often as I do :). I was wondering if there would be a way to preview that quicker, like a shortcut that directly opens that Messing Options panel and previews the mesh as polys (and keeps the last set values).

I thought that it might even possible to get a temporary solution via scripting (like set a temporary file to save in a temporary location and skip that file dialog and then go directly to the meshing options panel), so I was taking a look to the scripting API but, well, besides being an unknown terrain for me, the only thing I've found that I thought would do what I think I need was MeshObject ( GeomObject ) class, but it has no properties or methods.

So the question is, is that possible?

Thanks!