Mac OSX v3 prototype available now

4737.28 In reply to 4737.25 
Hi JBartley,

> Could you briefly expalin how the licensing is going to
> work for the Mac?

With v3 you'll be able to use either the Mac or the Windows version, or both, with the same license.

The way the licensing works currently with v2 is that you can install the same license on multiple machines that you own as long as you have only actively launched it on one of them at a time.

That will apply just the same for v3, you'll be able to use the same license key on either a Windows or Mac install.

I'm not exactly sure how the order process will work, it's possible that there may be 2 separate order pages for a mac version or pc version since it may not be very easy for me to make the order system give out 2 download links in the same single order. If it ends up that way then there will be some other page that you can go to do download the other version.

> If I buy a PC license now to test the beta, will I have to
> purchase another Mac copy when 3 is released? Is buying
> a license now be good for both Mac/PC?

Well, the mac version is going to be for v3. If you purchase a v2 license right now you can use the v3 beta release until the beta period is over but then you would need to purchase a v3 upgrade license (which will most likely cost $100) to get the full v3 release version. You don't automatically get v3 if you purchase v2 right now.

> I have no problem buying V2 now and paying for the V3 upgrade,
> but just didn't want to get stuck buy a whole new license for mac
> when I already purchased the PC version.

So yeah you'll need to pay for the v3 upgrade version but you will not need to purchase a complete full new license.

Basically I don't plan to have any different kinds of licenses for Windows or Mac, they will both use the exact same licenses and you'll be able to download either a Windows installer or a Mac version installer whichever you need (or both) and you will be able to use the same license key on either of those installers.

- Michael