Mac OSX v3 prototype available now

4737.124 In reply to 4737.122 
Hi podperson,

> I'm very excited to see MoI coming out for Mac OS X
> (even if it's running under X11).

Don't worry - I'll be tweaking it some more with a few more native access points like with a native file dialog. By the time it's finished I think the main thing you'll have to live with is just an "X" in the title, hopefully that by itself is not enough to cause problems.

> I'd truly love to see MoI on the iPad ;-)

Unfortunately that's a very much different thing - the iPad uses a completely different kind of CPU than regular Macs, and so the porting method that I'm currently using is not possible to use for an iPad. Doing an iPad version would require such an extensive rewrite that I don't think that it realistically has much chance of happening anytime soon.

> I've got a v1 license (which I still use via VMWare Fusion), so my
> question is if I pay for an upgrade to v2 to get access to v3 beta
> will I then need to pay for another upgrade to get to v3 when it
> is released?

You will have to pay for a v3 upgrade if you want to use v3 when it is finished - that will be something like a year from now.

However, if you upgrade to v2 now you will not have to pay anything to get the v2.5 release which will be an OSX-specific release that I'll be putting out much sooner than v3, targeting something like the beginning of next year.

The v2.5 OSX release will be available to current v2 owners to download and use their same v2 license with without any extra purchase. It will also be a version that brand new customers who were waiting for an OSX version will be able to purchase instead of waiting all the way until v3 is released which is what I was originally going to do.

- Michael