Mac OSX v3 prototype available now

4737.123 In reply to 4737.121 
Hi Chyman, yup I was just figuring that out, that the "GMA" 3000 or x3000 is a different one than Intel HD 3000.

So far I know:

Does not work:
Intel GMA 950 chipset

Does work:
Intel HD Graphics 3000
All nVidia and ATI graphics seem to be working fine.

So far I do not know about the GMA 3000/x3000 ones.

Those are actually quite a bit newer than the GMA 950 though - the GMA 950 is particularly old. The 950 dates back to around 2005 and even right at that time that it was introduced it was at the extreme low end of the performance pile even then.

If anyone is running the current OSX beta with one of the GMA 3000 or x3000 Intel chipsets, please post how it is working for you.

And Chyman, you will be able to test it in just a few more weeks here when I release the public test version.

The GMA x3000/x3100 is a pretty substantial step up from the ones before that, so I have a pretty good expectation that it should work. According to the chart here the x3000/x3100 support OpenGL 2.0 which I think should be sufficient:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#Graphics_Media_Accelerator

I think that the cutoff point is actually probably OpenGL 1.5 level hardware - I think the current build needs support for "Vertex Buffer Objects" (VBO) - the GMA 950 only supports OpenGL 1.4 and that's missing VBOs.

I will continue to look a bit more though, I think that Wine actually has a fallback path for "no VBO" support but it appears to be buggy.

- Michael