Beginner:Forming a solid from projected curve

4657.24 In reply to 4657.23 
Hi Steve,

> I just wondering if its poly modelling in general I
> don't get on with or if its C4D. Wonder if the poly
> modelling experience in Modo is different?

It's hard to say for sure but I wouldn't be too surprised if it's poly modeling in general that you don't like - just in general polygon modeling tends to be not well suited for mechanical type shape modeling. Poly modeling is much more about manipulating a cage of points, basically working in 3D all the time and not really focused on using 2D profile curves.

The poly modeling toolset is really effective for doing sculpted organic shapes, characters, faces, animals, stuff like that. But it's also kind of a generally higher learning curve, it needs more experience and sort of needs developing higher level of 3d spatial awareness. It can take quite a bit of time to develop the skills it requires.

Modo though is a lot more primarily focused on modeling than C4D, and it's not unusual for people using C4D to also use Modo as a modeling tool, so if you do want to do polygon modeling it can be worth checking out. Also if you want to pursue poly modeling there is a streamlined modeler called Silo that is also worth looking into: http://www.nevercenter.com/silo/

For mechanical shapes though you'll usually find those are really well suited for MoI's NURBS toolset.

- Michael