Filleting my strat

4300.3 In reply to 4300.1 
Hi Jeff,

> 1. It look like some artifacts because the bottom fillet and
> armrest fillet ran into each other. I guess I need to adjust the
> trimming surface or reduce the fillet radius. Right?

Yeah the filleter doesn't like it if there is not enough room for it to fit the fillet because there is a different edge that it would run into, so for example here:

There is not much room for a fillet to be placed around the upper edge there, before it would run into the bottom edge.

This limitation of the filleter not being able to cross over a neighboring edge, is probably the biggest general problem in the fillet engine - it's something that is handled better in the fillet engines in some other CAD programs.

But it looks like there was a partial result created, and it could be possible to salvage that by extracting the fillet surface and getting it into place by using the Trim command to manually cut back the surrounding areas to make the proper space for it.

What fillet radius do you want to have placed there?

Also there is another filleting option that is enabled if you are doing a fillet between 2 individual surfaces that are not joined to any other surface - that creates what is called a surface/surface fillet instead of an edge-based fillet. It can create fillet surfaces in cases where the edge-based one gets confused, so it can be helpful for some kinds of situations but it does not try to automatically handle corner juncture areas where multiple fillets may be running into each other like the edge based one.

> Also, should I stay circular or use one of the GX fillets.

That's up to you depending on what kind of a shape you want - the circular one makes a fillet surface that has an exact circular arc cross-section. That's often seen on mechanical shapes but it's not very organic because you seldom see an exact arc shape on a living creature for example. The Blend shapes make a more squishy type of surface that's kind of more organic in look. You can also tweak the bulgy-ness of the blend surface to make it kind of more flat or more like a ridge.

There is no automatic answer for which one is better, they generate a bit different shapes, so it depends on which kind of shape you like better.

A G2 blend will tend to make the fillet piece look less like a distinct separate part and be kind of more seamless with the surrounding geometry.

- Michael
Attachments: